Wine yeast for bottle conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
I have some beers that have been in the primary/secondary for a while, and was planning on re-yeasting at bottling just to make sure they carb up sufficiently. I have some slurry in the fridge, but also have some new wine yeast packets that I'm not planning to use, so I thought it might be a good idea to use one of them. As I understand it, wine yeast can't ferment complex sugars, so they won't dry out the beer and produce bottle bombs. I know people have done this successfully with champagne yeast, but what about other wine yeasts? I think I have Cote des Blancs.

unless the beer has been sitting for yrs i bet your beer would carb up without additional yeast, won't hurt though.

I usually add yeast if the beer has been sitting for 6 months. Under that I don't bother and have never had a problem.

About half a pack rehydrated and added to the bottling bucket is fine. Wine yeast is OK (for the reason you mention).

Latest posts

Back