Wine with beer equipment and bottles

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Bilc16

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm a brewer who may try my hand at wine soon. There's usually a few bottles of wine opened each Sunday for dinner down the in laws and figure it'd be much cheaper to make my own. I've done 2 batches of Ed Wort's Apfelwien so I was thinking that I'm not far off too. I'm sure there are many people here that make wine and brew. I was planning on buying a new primary bucket for only wine, but is there anything else I would need? Has anyone bottled wine in beer bottles and capped them instead of corking? Cheers!

huesmann

Reaction score
You should be able to use your beer equipment. Do you have carboys and a racking cane or siphon?

Honda88

Reaction score
you really should have atleast two carboys but you can do it with one if you siphon it into the bucket and then clean and re siphon(however this becomes a serious pain). The glass carboy helps you see where your siphon is at so you dont suck up a bunch of sediment......but yea as far as bottling goes, as long as your wine is done fermenting completely you should be able to use beer bottles no problem

OP
B

Bilc16

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have a few carboys and everything else to rack and bottle it in beer bottles. I think I'm going to make a go at it. Thanks again. Any suggestions on a first wine? A red.

KevinM

Reaction score
It depends on what you and others like to drink. Plus, how fast you want to drink it. A mist style wine is drinkable pretty quickly, has low alcohol and may be on the overly sweet side. Whites may take a few months to a year to be ready to drink a red, generally longer. There are of course some situations where this is different, where some whites take years and some reds are ready early on.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
For a cheaper red, the Winexpert kits are pretty good. I've done the vapolicella, sangiovese, shiraz, malbec, and maybe one or two others.

You'll need a 6 gallon carboy- not a 6.5 gallon or a 5 gallon. but otherwise, you should have every thing you need.