Wine Sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some port is good, some is mediocre. I can never remember the differences between "Tawny Ports" and "Reserve Ports" and all of that. Warre's Warrior is what I buy every once in a while. The ones I like are kind of like a good icewine in that they ARE think and syrupy and sweet, but they've got some real good fruit character and some good tartness to counterbalance that.

I drank a couple bottles of wine and passed out on the driveway of a home I was recording at in a gated community in a suburb of Atlanta a couple years ago. When I came to the next morning, my cellphone was next to my ear and one of said bottles was still in my hand. One of my more rockstar moments and it involved wine.

Some port is good, some is mediocre. I can never remember the differences between "Tawny Ports" and "Reserve Ports" and all of that. Warre's Warrior is what I buy every once in a while. The ones I like are kind of like a good icewine in that they ARE think and syrupy and sweet, but they've got some real good fruit character and some good tartness to counterbalance that.

True. This one had a lot of wood on it, too, which I'm a fan of. I'll have to pillage the knowledge of my port-master and see what other good examples I can find with lots of woody character. It was definitely a special treat - not something I think I'd want to tackle every night.

We went to Portugal on our honeymoon and the city Porto was one of the highlights of the trip. We loved the Vila Nova de Gaia, where all of the major port houses store their port in caves. We took tours of all the caves, Sandemans was my favorite tour but Warres was my favorite port. An afternoon spent at the Institute of Port was fantastic, we talked with one of the gents who decide if that years wines are of sufficient quality to be declared a Vintage Port. He spent the afternoon pouring us different bottles and pointing out the subtleties of each and why one was a vintage and the next was not. It was a wine geeks heaven.

If you are looking for an inexpensive vacation I can't recommend Portugal enough. You can live like a king there for short money, even with the Euro the way it is. We drove into a tiny seaside fishing village in the Allagarve with no idea what we would find there. Walking around the village center an old man came up to us and by gesture asked us if we had a place to sleep for the night. We indicated we didn't and he took us along this goat path alongside a cliff to his home. We stayed in a large room with a huge balcony overlooking the Atlantic, his wife cooked us breakfast in the morning. The whole thing came to around $40. It was like that everywhere we went, once we got out of the cities. Cities are cities. Lisbon was cool, and Porto was cooler. One of the memories I'll carry with me till the day I die is driving for hours thru orange groves. Heaven must smell like that.

Now I've got to go dig out a bottle of tawny.

PTN

Anyone who lives within a 6 - 8 hour drive of the Finger Lakes who doesn't make the trip at least once is doing themselves a real disservice. They make world class Rieslings and Gewurztraminers. I've been privileged to act as a judge twice at an annual competition they hold and I've got my fingers crossed that they ask me back for a third.

PTN

About 10 years ago, I ended up with a bottle of Vintage 1925 Port. 4 years ago I opened it the day after I got married. It was the best thing i have ever concumed. It could have gone either way at that age, but it was full of chocoloate and caramel and all sorts of yummy goodness that ruined me for any other port.

It might be tough to find that same '25 here in the states but I'm sure you could get it in Porto at the Vila Nova de Gaia. They have a wicked cool way of opening old bottles with 75 year old questionable corks. They have a pair of tongs, look like something out of a torture chamber. The business end of the tongs fits snugly around the end of a bottle. They take the tongs and hold them over a fire until the working end gets red hot then they clamp the end over the end of the bottle, just about 3/4 of the way down the cork. After a minute or so they remove the tongs and gently pour some water over the end of the bottle, causing the glass to crack around the neck from the temperature shock. Then they gently tease out the cork. It is a VERY impressive performance. We had two bottles opened that way when we were there and it is something you don't forget. I managed to find and buy one of the sets of tongs and have used them once since then. Wicked fun night.

I just checked, airfare Boston to Lisbon is $850. You DO have an anniversary coming up, don't you?

PTN

I have seen the hot pliers trick on tv. It didn't occur to me that that might be what I would have to do...
I got lucky with the cork. I used patience and a huge badass corkscrew with a handle made from an old branch and got the cork out in 2 pieces.

If I really want to get trashed around Xmas time, I turn to brandy and port, it's a nice mix which does benefit from using good product in the mix, although possibly not a good idea to do it with really good port or really good brandy. One thing though, it'll get you trashed that's for sure.

Rexbanner sucks. Speaking personally, I can't stand him. I've tried to develop a taste for him, but I can't. He smells like bile, and I have to suppress a shudder with every smell I take.

Also, Rexbanner isn't cool. Maybe if you're a girl, Italian, or popping champagne in the club, but that's it.

That's why I'm happy about the real friend trend, and I actively work to promote real friends and put down Rexbanner if it's possible to work it in to conversations somehow.

Anyways, maybe no one agrees with me, but if you do, keep pressing this agenda. When friends or family come over, pull out a picture of Rexbanner and laugh over a glass of wine. For holidays I always make sure to bring my real friends so I don't have to smell Rexbanner.

hahahahhaaa.......hahhahahaa........:ban:

I consider myself lucky because I can't tell the difference between the BMC of wine and the Westvleteren of wine. It all tastes the same to me.

You are thorough brewdouche, but a little late.
STOP showing up in "my replies"
WHAT ARE YOU ALL TALKING ABOUT????

Didn't you hear the really extra cool OP??????
Wine sucks.

;)

I dont like most dry wines. I started out making my own wine cause I like SEMI-dry fruit wines. You just cant buy pomagranit honey wine.:fro:

I do make alot more beer though.

Has Barleywine been mentioned?

Hey Brewdouche!

I am definitely a DRY OAKY ROBUST RED kind of wino. To each their own.

I definitely respect making your own.

Oh well, back to crafting my MEAD SUCKS thread.

Back