Wine still fermenting after 9 months?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybee

Reaction score
Hello! I have some aronia berry wine that I made last August that had a pa of 12. There is still air coming into the air lock every few hours. A week ago I added stabilizer and there has been no changes. I did not add any sweetener. I'm wanting to bottle but am worried this fermentation will cause corks to pop. Any suggestions to help stop this?

Not likely, it is probably just gas being passed through the airlock. I happens with temperature changes, also atmospheric pressure changes.

Don't worry about it, go ahead and bottle it when ready.

Smell and taste is fine. I will assume it's gas and proceed with bottling. Thanks for the replies!

Hi honeybee - and welcome. Better than assuming would be to check the specific gravity. You mention pa. No idea what that refers to but gravity or its equivalents are useful metrics. If it's not at 1.000 or below and if it is still dropping then your wine is (surprisingly) still fermenting... Could be that it stalled months and months ago and is again restarting... we can only know what is going on if you provide the needed data...

pa is in reference to the potential alcohol level when I first started the wine. Which I guess is a specific gravity of about 1.095. Yesterday the hydrometer was dropping to the bottom of the container. So I assume it's currently at 1.00 or below. It should be okay to bottle then?

pa is in reference to the potential alcohol level when I first started the wine. Which I guess is a specific gravity of about 1.095. Yesterday the hydrometer was dropping to the bottom of the container. So I assume it's currently at 1.00 or below. It should be okay to bottle then?

Probably. But use a container that will float the hydrometer, otherwise the reading is useless. A small pitcher or test jar would be great. Or the container the hydrometer came in. Add enough wine so that the hydrometer floats, and take the reading at eye level. I would expect a FG of .990-.994 or so, if you used a wine yeast strain, if it's done.

Back