Wine rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growlrr

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum, so if not I apologize. I'll be racking 7-8 gallons of several different kinds on meads in the next 4 weeks and it JUST occurred to me that I am going to have to store some 40-odd bottles (one gallon, a super-sweet elder flower mead is going into 375 ml bottles) and will have perhaps another 30 bottles by the end of the year to account for.

Can someone recommend a good wine rack? The ones I've seen online look like Lincoln Logs on steroids and have gotten very mixed reviews. I'm not opposed to them if they are solid or even a DIY project as I know which end of a drill is the business end.

I figure I can't be the only guy with this issue since I see some members here apparently brew by the "swimming pool" :tank:

Thanks

Glenn

You might want to build your own. There are other options like what I did in the photo. See the left hand side of the picture? A shoe cubby my daughter was going to throw out has been re-purposed to hold my mead. It holds 30 bottles and keeps things tucked out of the way. Ideal for your situation.

IMG_0773.jpg

You could simply buy a wine rack fully assembled from a lcl store, you could order one online, have it shipped to your door & assemble it yourself, or you could build one yourself. It all depends on what you want, how much you want to spend & how much work you're willing to do.

I've always been a fan of the open diamond style wine racks & those seem to be the easiest & least expensive to DIY. There are any number of plans available online. Wall mounted, freestanding, converted cabinets, closets, dressers, etc...

You can also buy them & assemble them yourself, they're usually modular & stackable, so you can configure them pretty much any way you want, which is handy if you're using an irregularly shaped space.

If you're willing to convert a cabinet or closet, it's really cheap & easy to do. Basically measure, cut & insert. The cabinet or closet walls eliminate the need for any sides, additional support, or even fasteners, as gravity & the weight of the bottles locks everything into place. The basic idea is to make something like the pic below, but without the sides, just using the inserts & the existing sides of the cabinet or closet walls as the sides. Of course, you could always make it as it is in the pic too. Freestanding, bolted to the wall; there are a lot of options & plans out there. Good luck!
Regards, GF.

winerack1.jpg

Back