Wine rack.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acafro

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck building themselves a wine rack?

I have my first batch of wine in its secondary fermentor now, in a few weeks its going to be bottled and ready for storage / aging. And I have nothing to store /age 25+ bottles in. Any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Well pretty much exactly what i was looking for!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

You can also get some 1x12's and make a simple cube fairly easy
cellarFillingUp.jpg
For long term storage I put the bottles back in the boxes I get them in, tape them up, and lay them on their side and forget about them in the back of a room in the basement.

I did a lot of research on the wine rack build and here is what I found. Keep in mind I am a novice at everything, from brewing beer, to wine making and wood work...I really don't know if I have any real talents except for drinking. But here is what I found. Wood is expensive, at least here in Spokane, Wa. I found that 3 sisters wine rack and after shopping at all of the places in town that sell wood, I could not build that rack for less than $100. I settled on the cube style rack and built one out of the "straightest" pine 1x12 that I could find. Did not turn out square and still cost me about $40. I am going to give it another go and use laminated 1x12 as that seemed to be close to the same price. I was building it to put on my bar where everyone can see it so if it is not meant to be displayed then build those all day long and put them in a back room. The rack from amazon that was posted on here is what I settled on. 120 bottle rack for $58 + $12 shipping was economical and easy to put together. They offered a $30 rebate if I signed up for an amazon card and the whole thing was shipped to be for about $40 so you cannot beat that. If I had a "wine cellar" where I was going to age a bunch of wine, I would consider something like the skid row rack because that would be economical and easy to build. Like I said I am a novice and others who are good with wood working and have a way to buy good inexpensive lumber could possibly build those things cheaper and with higher quality that I.
Good Luck! VnMD- what are the demensions of your cube style rack?

I found that 3 sisters wine rack and after shopping at all of the places in town that sell wood, I could not build that rack for less than $100.

I used furring strips from the big orange store. They are cheap but the quality can be iffy. It took a lot of digging to find pieces that were mostly straight and not splitting.

The rack from amazon that was posted on here is what I settled on. 120 bottle rack for $58 + $12 shipping was economical and easy to put together.

Yeah, that rack looks very similar to the 3 sisters one. It is almost cheaper than the materials to build the other one too. And way less labor! I did look at that one beforehand but I wanted to try building one. If I was going to do another one though I might just go the Amazon route.

Yep, even paying full price for the amazon one is cheaper than the furring strips I would imagine. Then considering the time and effort, way better deal. I found they smell good too :).

WilliamSlayer said:
Still my favorite for it's outside the box thinking Jen! How's it working out btw?

Still working great! Not quite full yet:) at least I can make it faster then I can drink it now!
Under $75 for over 300 bottles. :)

WilliamSlayer said:
Nice! Has the weight of the bottles stressed the wire or the attachments to the wood at all?

Nope. No wire/wood stress. Not even pulling off of the supports. I keep checking it, but so far so good. I did add a few zip ties frount to back. They are not tight. If they tighten up then I know it has started to spread.

Nope. No wire/wood stress. Not even pulling off of the supports. I keep checking it, but so far so good. I did add a few zip ties frount to back. They are not tight. If they tighten up then I know it has started to spread.

Good idea. :)

I'm still confined to a townhouse, but your design appeals to me and I hope to make one of my own when I get a place that can have dedicated space.

WilliamSlayer said:
Good idea. :)

I'm still confined to a townhouse, but your design appeals to me and I hope to make one of my own when I get a place that can have dedicated space.

The pannels come in a sheet that is 16'X4'. I cut mine in half and have a 8' wine rack. You can cut it as small as you want to. Remember you loose a row everytime you cut. Someone on here cut their pannel to fit under a set of stairs in a closet. They finished it up with wood trim and varnish. Very elegant looking. Adds resale value to the house. Could use it as a shoe rack if the new owners were not into wine. Or you could pull it out and take it with you:)

Back