Wine or Beer Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawats

Reaction score
I have these two ciders:

1. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/champagne-cider-106522/

2. Edwort's Apfelvine

They have been in for almost a month now, and both are clearing nicely. The question is, when I bottle (which I plan to do in mid-April, depending on gravity), do I use wine or beer? I plan to carb both, which leads me in the direction of beer bottles, but any thoughts?

Wine bottles won't hold carbonation unless you use champagne bottles.

I make more beer than anything else, so I only have a crappy hand corker - it's much easier to bottle everything in beer bottles.

For presentation, I'm trying out martinelli cider bottles because they seem to take a crown cap.

You cannot carb in wine bottles, unless they are champs they will not hold the pressure and they donot have sufficent lip to secure the cork or cap. If you want larger bottles start scrounging for champs. I use these for beer also when I can. I don't have that many but am always collecting for future.

You cannot carb in wine bottles, unless they are champs they will not hold the pressure and they donot have sufficent lip to secure the cork or cap. If you want larger bottles start scrounging for champs. I use these for beer also when I can. I don't have that many but am always collecting for future.

How about screw-top wine bottles?

They won't hold the pressure. You will most likely get bottle bombs. I cap my champs they take crown caps.

They won't hold the pressure. You will most likely get bottle bombs. I cap my champs they take crown caps.

Thanks, Janet! I hope that the 1/2 gallon jugs I have will hold beer pressure...I have pilsner in them right now. :p

Sorry to hijack. If I don't carb, are there any issues with using screw cap wine bottles or growlers for my Apfelwein?

apfelwien still is a wine so reg wien bottles are fine. if u wnt 2 carb on the cheap u cn use soda bottles. they rnt pretty but thy hold pressure most of the time + if they do explode its not glass flying.

Back