Wine must question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powerman

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently have moved into making wines from actual fruit instead of juices or kits. I have volunteered at a local vineyard and have several batches going already from those grapes. I recently got enough Concord grapes to make a 6 gallon batch for my wife and I have run into what could be a problem.

The grapes I got from the vineyard were crushed at the vineyard and loaded into my container. The Concord grapes I got,I hand destemmed and crushed by hand with a flat bottomed wine bottle. The resulting must is literally the consistency of a loose jelly...

I hit it with meta-sulphite and then pectic enzyme a few hours later, today I pitched yeast and it seems to be taking off. Do I need to do anything or is my reeeaaallly thick must ok?? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Once the yeast starts fermenting the grapes, and the pectic enzyme starts breaking the grapes down, you will be fine.
I destemmed and crushed 500 lbs of grapes, there was hardly any juice ant all until everything started to work.

Back