Wine making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahallasbrew2

Reaction score
To make wine do I just get some orchard grapes smash them them put them in a bottle of water and maybe sugar then add a pack of yeast and let it sit? Just wondering if it's like making mead

take a sg reading after you smash them...if the alcohol content is too low you might wanna add sugar...

Sorry,m but I find this thread very insulting.

Kind of like saying all you do is pee in a bottle and poof..you have beer.

Here is a thought, rather than putting energy in to being insulted you could always be constructive and give suggestions as to what the OP could do to make a quality product rather than "pee in a bottle". The OP was wondering if making wine was like making mead which implies they are familiar with the basic concept of brewing hence the basic help that was addressing the actual questions.

However you bring up a good point maybe some more details could be "constructive" and helpful to the OP so I will help.

Put the grapes in a nylon straining bag and place them in a sterilized primary fermenter (if using additives and chemicals) or stock pot (if using techniques to avoid chemicals). Crush the grapes and take an SG reading of the juice. At this point I would taste it. Look past the sweetness and see if there is adequate tartness, body and flavor. If you want a lighter flavor add a little water to taste, than take another SG reading. If the reading does not indicate the desired PA add sugar until desired PA has been obtained.

If you don't mind using additives and chemicals add a campden tablet, cover and let sit 12 hours, then add pectic enzyme, weight 12 more hours and pitch the yeast. cover with a lid and fit with an airlock. Stir the wine daily for about 5-8 days, then remove the nylon bag and rack the wine into a secondary fermenter, fit with an air-lock and let it ferment out dry.

If you are like me and do not like to use chemicals than pasteurize the juice first rather than using the campden templates. I do this in a stock pot by bringing the liquid and nylon bag of fruit up to 140º F before I transfer it to the primary. From there everything else is the same, with the exception of adding the enzyme as soon as the liquid cools down to "warm" (the enzyme works best in warm liquid but hot liquid will destroy it)

DoctorCAD said:

if you find my thread insulting well idc I'm asking for advice of making wine and similarities between red and white wine and mead, so unless you would like to use your brewing knowledge to help someone that would greatly appreciate it please leave you complaints to your self cause I dont care, also if you pee in a bottle you don't get beer, that's silly you just get a bottle of pee even I know that. Cheers :D

Daze said:
Here is a thought, rather than putting energy in to being insulted you could always be constructive and give suggestions as to what the OP could do to make a quality product rather than "pee in a bottle". The OP was wondering if making wine was like making mead which implies they are familiar with the basic concept of brewing hence the basic help that was addressing the actual questions.

However you bring up a good point maybe some more details could be "constructive" and helpful to the OP so I will help.

Put the grapes in a nylon straining bag and place them in a sterilized primary fermenter (if using additives and chemicals) or stock pot (if using techniques to avoid chemicals). Crush the grapes and take an SG reading of the juice. At this point I would taste it. Look past the sweetness and see if there is adequate tartness, body and flavor. If you want a lighter flavor add a little water to taste, than take another SG reading. If the reading does not indicate the desired PA add sugar until desired PA has been obtained.

If you don't mind using additives and chemicals add a campden tablet, cover and let sit 12 hours, then add pectic enzyme, weight 12 more hours and pitch the yeast. cover with a lid and fit with an airlock. Stir the wine daily for about 5-8 days, then remove the nylon bag and rack the wine into a secondary fermenter, fit with an air-lock and let it ferment out dry.

If you are like me and do not like to use chemicals than pasteurize the juice first rather than using the campden templates. I do this in a stock pot by bringing the liquid and nylon bag of fruit up to 140º F before I transfer it to the primary. From there everything else is the same, with the exception of adding the enzyme as soon as the liquid cools down to "warm" (the enzyme works best in warm liquid but hot liquid will destroy it)

Thanks for explaining the concepts of wine making In a fashionable way it's very much appreciated your knowledge has made my day thanks :D cheers

if you pee in a bottle you don't get beer, that's silly you just get a bottle of pee even I know that. Cheers :D

I think some people call that Natty Light. :mug:

The explanation Daze gave is extremely oversimplified. Making red and white wine is not that simple. I would strongly suggest buying a kit.

"extremely oversimplified" might be a bit if an exaggeration. Throw some grapes in a bucket, crush them and add some yeast would be "extremely oversimplified" :) :) There is really nothing complicated about basic wine making and the answer I gave is a good place to start. If the OP wants to recreate wines similar to what you get commercially than yes there is a lot more involved and a kit is the best option, but I didn't get the impression that that is what the OP wanted.

Back