Wine Kits - or Kit Wine Where to purchase....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yambor44

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been brewing beer for a little over a year and want to make a merlot for my wife. I have watched several u tube videos and I think I have most of the equipment. I have access to a corker. I need bottles (30), corks (which kind) and I THINK thats it other than the kit.

I would like to purchase a quality kit that includes ALL of the ingredients I need. So my questions are this:

1. Where can I get all of the above?

2. What type of corks should I get?

3. Do I need shrink wrap?

4. Am I missing anything else?

Thank you in advance for your time!

Search around online or at your LHBS. There are plenty of ingredient kits, but I am sure someone will be able to come on here and recommend a specific merlot kit, I haven't made one so I can't help you there.

I use number 9 corks, the higher the quality, generally the longer they last and age. I have not have any issues with sealing or aging so far with standard quality and premium.

Why would you need shrink wrap, not sure if that is a kit wine thing but I don't get it haha.

I think you mean foils/capsules. No - you don't need foils unless you want them.

I would actually buy the best quality corks you can - Nomacorc in my book - but Altec corks are even much better than regular corks.

BTW - bottles come in cases of 12... so you should get 3 cases. I would get the brown to protect best from UV light.

Oh duh, yeah shrink foils, I must be too tired from work. I've used them, but mostly to add some nice style and a professional look to them.

Your local HBS probably carries some kit wines. Or perhaps a home wine making shop.
If you prefer several online HBSes carry wine kits including:
The Grape and Granary
Northern Brewer
Midwest Supplies
More Beer (Wine)

Winexpert and Cellar Craft are both highly rated. As are RJ Spanols and Mosti. Most have 2 to 3 different qualities of kits. The cheaper kits make good table wines for everyday use. The premium kits should make very good quality wines suitable for gifts. I have made the Winexpert Mezza Luna Red. It is in their lower priced line but I was very pleased with the results.

Craig

Did his post disappear?

That is weird. I still have the page opened of my initial reply to his post and it shows the post. Here it is copied and pasted:

Hi - just joined this forum and really like the content.

To answer your question - talk to MOD EDIT. Their website is wine kits MOD EDIT. George loves for you to call and ask questions - he will not steer you wrong. I started with him several years ago and make a lot of wine and he has always been there for me. Everything that I ever needed he had in stock. Try him you will like him. Please tell him that rick runyon said that he is great. By the way, ask him to send you the winemaking 101 dvd - I think that they are free - shows you lots of great hints and suggestions. If you have any questions please email me.

good luck
rrawhide
rick runyon
springville, ca

Some one who registers to make one post with advertising is consider "spam" and is removed. Also, personal email address are not to be in a post.

We all love to talk about our experiences, but I have more than a couple of posts. What would you think if I signed up and only joined to spam, er, talk about, one specific site, and included my personal email address? If it's not advertising without bothering to follow the rules (purchasing a vendor's license), then it's awfully close.

Some one who registers to make one post with advertising is consider "spam" and is removed. Also, personal email address are not to be in a post.

We all love to talk about our experiences, but I have more than a couple of posts. What would you think if I signed up and only joined to spam, er, talk about, one specific site, and included my personal email address? If it's not advertising without bothering to follow the rules (purchasing a vendor's license), then it's awfully close.

I understand. He seemed to go to a lot of trouble though with filling out a lot of his profile. Maybe he'll understand and stick around and prove otherwise. The site he posted IS very informative. Answered a lot of my questions.

Back