Wine kit secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonesax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I started two wine kits about two weeks ago, which I was supposed to transfer to secondary after 5-7 days of primary. I was out of town and couldn't get to it so I am assuming that all fermentation at this point is complete and there will not be a secondary fermentation after I rack it. My question is, if the gravity is stable, can I just go a head and add the finning agents when I rack it, or should I still secondary it for a couple weeks first before finning?

Thanks,

David

I would just follow the kit steps, if the wine has already fermented to dry then go to the next stage, but verify this with your hydrometer.

There is really no such thing in kit winemaking as a "secondary fermentation". There is only one fermentation, it is rapid at first and slow at the end, but it is only one fermentation.

Unless your kit wines were down to .992 or so, there probably still some fermentation going on. The slow fermentation does not release CO2 at a fast rate, so that is why it is recommended to move the wine to a airlocked carboy. Oxygen will degrade your wine without the airlock and small headspace.

Back