Wine Kit Recommendation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalhomebrewer

Reaction score
Ive been brewing beer for a while, but want to try wine. I been researching what I need in equipment terms, but just unsure what a good kit may be. I am looking for a kit that is balanced and comes out well without having to afjust with the sulfates etc. This being my first wine I want to try to get a good product before messing with the other processes if I dont have to. Please let me know what brands anyone has had good experience with. Thank you in advance

I just finished a WineExpert Zinfandel Shiraz blend that came out good. You'll need a 6 gallon carboy for most kits although someone just posted about a Williams Brewing kit that is five gallons. I usually make dry wines so I never sorbate the must but I always use potassium metabisulfite to prevent oxidization and preserve the wine. Sulfites are very important in winemaking and in my opinion, are essential. You could leave them out you could have problems. I think most people have problems with fusel alcohol headaches rather than the sulfites.

I've done a number of kits and found them all pretty good.

Unlike with beer kits, with wine kits you really get what you pay for, and if you follow the instructions, it will come out great! No "tweaking" necessary with wine kits at all.

In the $50-70 range, there are Winexpert kits that are pretty good. Not great quality, but you'll get about a $5-7 quality wine. Ok for dinner, but not for discerning wine snobs! These are ready in about 60 days, and will be good for about a year or so before tapering off in quality. Not deep or complex at all, but very drinkable.

In the $100 range, I've had good luck with Cellar Craft and Selection Estates kits. A bit better quality, like a $10-15 bottle of commerical wine, and pretty enjoyable. Again, maybe not for big wine snobs, but really more than good enough. These can age (and improve) for a couple of years. These make nice wines for company and dinner.

In the $150 and up range, there are some awesome kits. They make very nice wines, like in the $20-$25/bottle range and can easily age up to 5 years. In fact, these won't even be really ready for about a year or so and will improve after 1.5 years or so. I've got a couple aging, and these are more complex and take a bit of time to really smooth out.

There are kits for every variety of wine you can think of- from rieslings to big cabernets, and most of them are pretty good. As I said, with wine kits, you really do get what you pay for. The "better" kits have a higher price tag, but you can find decent Winexpert kits for $60 or so. These kits all require a 6 gallon carboy, but otherwise you should have everything you need if you already make beer. You can usually rent a corker from the LHBS, or buy a double-lever corker for around $25.

The kits come with everything except corks and extra campden tablets (for aging, in a "better" kit).

What yooper say's is true, you get what you pay for with wine kits. If you are just starting out with wine, in my opinion, it is a good idea to do a kit that is a relatively fast drinker. Some kits can be enjoyed and are pretty good within a 2-3 months of pitching yeast. I would however make a higher quality kit right along side, the early drinker will keep you stocked up on drinkable wine and keep you from wanting to crack into the higher quality stuff, giving it a chance to age propertly.

In the $150 and up range, there are some awesome kits. They make very nice wines, like in the $20-$25/bottle range and can easily age up to 5 years. In fact, these won't even be really ready for about a year or so and will improve after 1.5 years or so. I've got a couple aging, and these are more complex and take a bit of time to really smooth out.

What's an example of a kit in the $150 range? looking to make a nice Red Zin or Shiraz for my wife and more than happy to wait 1-2 years for it be "good".

Thank you so much for all of your help!
-Tim

I'm kind of wondering the same.

I headed over to winemakingtalk.com (not sure if that is considered sacrilege to say that here), but found that the Cellar Craft Showcase series is fairly highly reviewed as a good kit. I ordered their Old Vine Zin from a particular vendor that gave 10% off. Brought the kit price to $115. Not bad.

PM me if you want the vendor (don't want to irritate anyone by posting anything considered SPAM).

Thanks,
Tim

Has anyone tried the Vino Italiano Kits on Amazon, I know they are cheap, but is the end product any good?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ELJK5K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Hahaha- believe it or not, I just did one!

We have a Dollar Store in my town, where one side is the "liquidators" side and so more than a dollar, but usually discounted. I bought that brand (but not moscato, it was a red) and made it around Thanksgiving. I paid $14.99 and it came with corks and everything you need except bottles and a corker.

It's ok. I'd say it's like a $3 bottle of Two Buck Chuck. I drink it, but use it mainly for cooking. Bob calls it his "everyday brunch wine".

Last edited by a moderator:
I headed over to winemakingtalk.com (not sure if that is considered sacrilege to say that here), but found that the Cellar Craft Showcase series is fairly highly reviewed as a good kit. I ordered their Old Vine Zin from a particular vendor that gave 10% off. Brought the kit price to $115. Not bad.

PM me if you want the vendor (don't want to irritate anyone by posting anything considered SPAM).

Thanks,
Tim

Yes, Cellar Craft is a good one in the "moderate" area.

These are my favorites for the "expensive" area: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/3000503/en-pimeur-amarone-della-valpolicella-classico

birvine said:
As far as I can discern, cheap kits = sub-par kits.

B

I made this wine kit , because I too love Moscato. But I followed the instructions , and this is a DRY moscato, not sweet! Good, but dry.

A few days ago I was reading up on the 'En primeur' kits. Do you find that you have liked the other EP kits as well as the Valpol?

Brent

Yes, but I haven't done very many. All that I've done I've liked. A few years ago, Cellar Craft has these "crushendo" kits that I liked the best but they seem to have stopped making those or at least I can't find them any more.

The best kit I ever did was a Cellar Craft Limited Edition kit of a tannat/merlot blend. It's about 5 years old now and it's beyond excellent. It was a "Showcase" kit, with "Crushendo (the grape skins)" and I think it retailed for about $160 in 2007 or so when I bought it.

Hahaha- believe it or not, I just did one!

We have a Dollar Store in my town, where one side is the "liquidators" side and so more than a dollar, but usually discounted. I bought that brand (but not moscato, it was a red) and made it around Thanksgiving. I paid $14.99 and it came with corks and everything you need except bottles and a corker.

It's ok. I'd say it's like a $3 bottle of Two Buck Chuck. I drink it, but use it mainly for cooking. Bob calls it his "everyday brunch wine".

I've read a couple places that if it's made into a 5 gallon batch instead of 6 it comes out better, any opinion on this? I went ahead and ordered the Blush Zin.

I've read a couple places that if it's made into a 5 gallon batch instead of 6 it comes out better, any opinion on this? I went ahead and ordered the Blush Zin.

I don't know. Making a smaller batch might change the balance of the acid and amount of juice in a negative way, but I don't have experience with that in a kit.

I don't know. Making a smaller batch might change the balance of the acid and amount of juice in a negative way, but I don't have experience with that in a kit.

Any changes you would make in regards to the included instructions? I see they include EC-1118, would you swap that out with say montracht or will it suffice?

Only change I ever make would be to rehydrate the dry yeast, although it isn't necessary. Why buy kits if you are going to start tinkering? The higher priced kits are usually very good.

Back