Wine into cider??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingerbrewer

Reaction score
Few weeks ago I started a blackberry wine, after secondary fermentation I tasted it, it was lovely and tasted like wine, I bottled it up and put two bottles to keep for longer and opend one bottle, it was fizzy and tasted like cider??? What did I do wrong ??

Few weeks ago I started a blackberry wine, after secondary fermentation I tasted it, it was lovely and tasted like wine, I bottled it up and put two bottles to keep for longer and opend one bottle, it was fizzy and tasted like cider??? What did I do wrong ??

Few Q's. Did you sweeten it before bottling? What were your starting and final gravity readings? Did you take gravity readings on a few consecutive days leading up to bottling to make sure it was finished fermenting?

I don't even know, I'm new to home brewing this year and this was my first wine... So if you could just give me some tips and tell me what to do next time?? Or a recipe ??

I don't even know, I'm new to home brewing this year and this was my first wine... So if you could just give me some tips and tell me what to do next time?? Or a recipe ??

Always use a hydrometer, and never bottle a wine until the hydrometer reading is the same for at least several readings. Bottling early means it will continue to ferment in the bottle, causing "fizzy" wine and possibly the corks popping out.

Hydrometer readings are the key to being able to know when to bottle.

Back