Wine from Juice. What Yeast to Use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTD

Reaction score
So having done a few batches in the past im exploring cheap options as i can buy wine cheaper than i can make it.

Im doing this for learning purposes not thinking this will make an excellent drop.

Im using 99.6% store bought juice with no preservatives etc, 2 seperate experiments, one apple juice the other grape juice (fruit juice bottles not fruit drink), single fermenter vessel in an 11.5L carbouy each, no secondary. will bottle after 1 month if it is degassed. A little bentonite is in there too while it ferments, im in a hurry with the first couple of experiments.

First batch im trying i used

standard champagne yeast
nutrient
pectic enzyme
adjusted PH down to 3.0 - 3.2
added sugar to bring it to 1.073, 10-11% ABV depending on where it finishes on the FG to DRY, it needs to be DRY.

A little bentonite is in there too while it ferments, im in a hurry with the first couple of experiments but i not in too much that it doesnt finish.

The next experiement ill do is apple/blackcurrent. havent got the yeast for this one yet but will tomorrow,
**wondering if i sould use a white wine yeast for this type or experimenting or a red wine yeast**

I want it dry and crisp but want to retain fruit flavour as i suspect these bottled juices would lack on that department. Anyone have expirence with bottled juice and what yeast is best choice for a dry wine a about 10-11% ABV to not strip flavour but ferment dry.

Cheers

Back