Wine for my wife

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewlocker

Reaction score
So let me just say I personally don’t drink wine. My goal is to make a good red blend for my wife. I would like to make a wine that she could open every year on our anniversary. The problem is I don’t know anything about wine. I do know that she basically loves all wine but prefers red blends. I would really appreciate it if I could get some information on wine kits and wine making tips.

Same as you. I don't do wine - the wife does. There are kits out there that come with everything you need (except the fermenter) and pretty good instructions. If table wines are her thing, you really can't beat Welches grape juice wine.

Same as you. I don't do wine - the wife does. There are kits out there that come with everything you need (except the fermenter) and pretty good instructions. If table wines are her thing, you really can't beat Welches grape juice wine.

I have extra fermenters from my beer equipment. Is Welches grape juice wine sweet? I’m looking for a dry red blend.

I’ve only made one kit. It turned out ok. It was super cheap if you compare to to buying a bottle and ended up on par with maybe a $10 bottle of wine.

I’ve talked with others that say you get what you pay for with wine kits. So if I try it again I’ll get a higher end kit.

It was fun and easy though.

Thanks very much all. I think I will spend the money on good ingredients, I want my wife to really enjoy it every year.

I have made a number of wine kits from low price to the high end. While there is a noticeable difference between the two, the wife has enjoyed the cheaper kits. I can't speak much on how they age as they don't last that long. One medium priced red blend kit I would recommend is the winexpert world vineyard trinity red. In that price range it is probably my wife's favorite. A couple sites to see what's out there and prices are southernhomebrew.com and labelpeelers.com. Good luck.

One other recommendation. Although not a red blend my wife's absolute favorite as well as everyone that has tried it is the Winexpert Eclipse Old Vine Zinfandel. It is a kit that takes 8 weeks from start to bottling. It is a kit that should age very well. To give you an idea on prices, the trinity red kit With shipping will run around $80. The old Vine Zinfandel will run around $150.

Thanks again! I’ve decided to let my wife pick since she is the one drinking it. So far she is leaning towards a merlot kit but I will show her this kit. I’m hoping she will want to make it with me so it will have even more meaning years from now

A wine kit makes at least 28 bottles of wine. At one bottle a year, it will last you for a lot of anniversaries. The merlot my wife really likes is the Winexpert World vineyard Washington merlot.

RJS En Primeur Amarone is an excellent dry red wine. I have made it twice and it has been popular with every taster. Don't bother with cheaper kits imo, get a high end one with grape skins, wood chips and follow the instructions exactly the first time.

I have also made other high end Italian wines like the RJS Super Tuscan and the WinExpert Bravado which is a renamed Super Tuscan and like the Amarone they are all drinkable in six months, very good at a year, and excellent at two years.

Wine making from these type kits is easier than making beer but requires more patience.

For us one way to look at wine kits is what price wine did we buy before we started making kits. The lower price kits make a wine that would be comparable to a $10 wine for around $3 - $4 a bottle. The higher end kits we would compare to $20 a bottle wine for around $5 - $6 a bottle. Beernutz, we have made the RJS super Tuscan and agree that it makes a great wine. I have not made the amarone but read great reviews. Might have to make it my next kit.

For us one way to look at wine kits is what price wine did we buy before we started making kits. The lower price kits make a wine that would be comparable to a $10 wine for around $3 - $4 a bottle. The higher end kits we would compare to $20 a bottle wine for around $5 - $6 a bottle. Beernutz, we have made the RJS super Tuscan and agree that it makes a great wine. I have not made the amarone but read great reviews. Might have to make it my next kit.
Have you made the Winexpert Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot? I am about to bottle my first batch of that one and I've read great things about it.

Have you made the Winexpert Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot? I am about to bottle my first batch of that one and I've read great things about it.

That’s the one my wife is leaning towards. Getting her to make her mind up is cruel and unusual punishment for me but I am kinda glad she is being picky.

A wine kit makes at least 28 bottles of wine. At one bottle a year, it will last you for a lot of anniversaries. The merlot my wife really likes is the Winexpert World vineyard Washington merlot.

Well it may be more than one bottle a year because we currently do not have the ability to store wine correctly for that amount of time.

We have not tried the Stags Leap merlot. My wife loves merlot and we have been very impressed with the eclipse kits. Would love to hear a review.

The wife pretty well removes any long term storage concerns.

Latest posts

Back