Wine cooler fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiedye

Reaction score
Hello All!!!

I just found that my under-utilized wine cooler / mini fridge fits a carboy perfectly. It has a digital temp control a glass door and even a inside light that allows me to really see fermentation action without opening the unit. Great fermentation chamber!!!

The only issue is the digital temp control only goes up to 64. I'd like to be able to push it up higher if needed. I was thinking about adding a remote temp controller but am curious if a refrigerator has the ability to heat. Should the fridge be able to warm the insides or is it strictly a cooling unit? If it is 67 inside the house, could a fridge maintain a temp of 70?

I don't have the make/model handy, but I can post that later.

Any thoughts from the group?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!!!

Refrigerators only refrigerate. I have a wine cooler I use to ferment and it is ok but I like my freezer much better. Both are on single stage ranco controllers. The wine fridge can't really get below 45F and it is slower to react. You could use a 2 stage temp controller with a small heat pad or reptile heater. I believe the cheap ebay units are 2 stage. Try searching the archives for ebay temp controller if you are interested in going that route.

Thanks for the info!!!
I just picked up one of those temp controllers off eBay...we'll see how that goes.

Thanks again!!!!

Latest posts

Back