Windshield wiper motor powered grain mill.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jppostKW

Reaction score
I have a corona grain mill that i cranked by hand (it can be seen in revvys ugly junk thread) I came across a wiper motor from a semi truck on low speed it spins 42 rpms with 43 FOOT lbs of torque on high it spins at 66 rpm with around 34 ftlbs of torque
heres the base.
meo043.jpg

Adding the base for the wiper motor assembly

meo044.jpg

test fitting the bracket

meo046.jpg

Motor mounted on bracket with one piece of my DIY lovejoy coupler it is a matco 3/8 inch universal adaptor that lost the snap ring that holds it in so i re purposed it:mug:

meo047.jpg

different view of mounting
meo048.jpg

the other half of the diy lovejoy and 75mm extension testing alignment

meo049.jpg

fully assembled ish with a pint of hand cranked amber ale I still need to get a square head bolt to fit in the back of the extension i have all the wiring done with a three way switch for high and low the hopper is a better bottle that had a blow out. i am going to do hvac ducting to route the milled grain from the mill to a bucket more pics tommorrow and hopefully a video of operation!!!:mug:

meo051.jpg

MADNESS does it work??
i will know for sure tommorrow! my research on here people are using motors with 40 ish inch lb ratings so i dont think power will be a problem the universal socket will take care of any mill wobble. and these motors are darn near bullet proof we rarely see failures at the shop.

Its alive!!!!!!!
I still need to get the crush adjusted properly all and all im very happy with it cranked out 10 lbs of grain in 15 minutes I will probably add a little rubber buffer under the motor mounting bracket so any play is taken out like when it hits crystal malt and the motor has to work a bit harder but it is not lacking in the torque department at all!

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah the video really increases the noise its quieter than my dryer and nope the biscuits are gone i love leftovers

Back