Windows 11

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm ready :) You can find out if your PC is ready for the free update by running the following utility. https://aka.ms/GetPCHealthCheckApp

Had to go into the BIOS and enable the TPM (my processor has it built in). Here's the screen you want to see.

1633527411477.png

Of the two deskside and three laptops here, exactly none of them come even close to meeting the security feature requirements for a fully legit and sustainable Windows 11 installation.

I'm not broken up about it...

Cheers!

64 gb of RAM on that machine Passed? o_O

Yep, built this monster myself. It is one screaming machine. I do some 4k video editing. Also, Microsoft Flight Sim is a HUGE hog (but awesome).

I know, my laptop only has 32GB RAM and 1TB total SSD storage (two 512GB NVME drives). Plus the nVidia GPU. ;)

I've got a couple of those fast NVME drives (one for boot, one for a scratch disk when editing large files). Also, a PHAT raid array. Those NVME drives both do 5000MB/s reads!
1633535216808.png

Of the two deskside and three laptops here, exactly none of them come even close to meeting the security feature requirements for a fully legit and sustainable Windows 11 installation.

Cheers!

Are you sure? If it's a TPM issue, have you checked the BIOS settings to see if it can be enabled? If they were built in the last 5 years they either have the TPM on the MB or in the processor itself. For older computers, you might need to update the BIOS.

I'm probably going to install Win11 this weekend.

@passedpawn I couldn't justify going with larger than the two 512GB drives when I bought the laptop just over two years ago. I go with discrete (nVidia) graphics whenever possible for my laptops. With the power this thing has, it doesn't have any issues doing everything I want. I'm looking at getting a new laptop either next year (after mid-year) when the warranty runs out on the current one. Or extending the warranty and getting something new within another couple of years.

So far, my experience with Lenovo [ThinkPad] laptops is FAR better than either HP or Razor laptops. I used to like Dell products, but you simply cannot customize them like you used to (or you can with the ThinkPads). So they're done for me.

I used to build my own towers, until it really wasn't cost effective anymore. I'm sure you can still do it if you want to build a high end rig. I just don't need that level of compute power with what I'm doing.

For TPM, I make sure I pick it whenever it's offered for computers I purchase. Either for myself or even my mother (she has a new X1 Carbon). IMO, there's no real reason to NOT have that inside.

So far, my experience with Lenovo [ThinkPad] laptops is FAR better than either HP or Razor laptops. I used to like Dell products, but you simply cannot customize them like you used to (or you can with the ThinkPads). So they're done for me.
yself or even my mother (she has a new X1 Carbon). IMO, there's no real reason to NOT have that inside.

I have one old Asus laptop that needs to be replaced. I rarely use it, but I do need one for remote work that comes up occasionally. Otherwise, I hate using a laptop - just hate everything about them except for their portability.

I have one old Asus laptop that needs to be replaced. I rarely use it, but I do need one for remote work that comes up occasionally. Otherwise, I hate using a laptop - just hate everything about them except for their portability.
I really have no complaints with my current laptop. 15" 4k screen on it, plus connecting to a pair of 27" 4k screens via an USB-C docking station. BT keyboard and mouse (I use those with my work laptop as well, switching as needed, although during the work day I typically just use my personal laptop onboard keyboard and trackpad). IME, laptops have come a long way over the years. Provided you don't skinflint on them. ;)

So, what are the Win 10 features that were removed from Win 11?
View attachment 744758

Brew on :mug:

Yea, I saw that. I don't know. I think there is a new widget system for the desktop, so maybe that will break other widgets (E.g., I've got a stock ticker up there now that might not make it through the upgrade).

I stopped using the widgets some time back. So far back, in fact, that I can't recall how long ago it was. At least a few years though. Don't miss them one bit. So if those fail to work, without getting updated, it won't matter to me. I'm sure some will get updated to work. IF the creators still care that is.

Are you sure?[...]

I designed Intel-based systems for a couple of decades. I'm sure.

The deskside machines were bleeding edge in 2009 - these are 6 core/12 thread 3.6ghz Xeon server processors with 16GB of fast RAM, two pairs of mirrored 10Krpm Velociraptors, and 1TB SSD boot drives, all 6Gb SATA, and AMD Radeon 5970 graphics monsters. And 1000 watt power supplies :)

But neither machine knows anything of "secure boot" or "TPM" of any revision, and ASUS hasn't offered a bios update in almost a decade - not that it would matter :)

Cheers!

emphasis added:
exactly none of them come even close to meeting the security feature requirements for a fully legit and sustainable Windows 11 installation.

Same here.

It appears that Windows 10 is supported until mid-Oct 2025. That gives me plenty of time to try out a couple of ultra-light-weight Linux distros on my other really old laptop.

eta: FWIW, there are also registry hacks to bypass some of the Windows 11 system requirements.

I designed Intel-based systems for a couple of decades. I'm sure.

The deskside machines were bleeding edge in 2009 - these are 6 core/12 thread 3.6ghz Xeon server processors with 16GB of fast RAM, two pairs of mirrored 10Krpm Velociraptors, and 1TB SSD boot drives, all 6Gb SATA, and AMD Radeon 5970 graphics monsters. And 1000 watt power supplies :)

But neither machine knows anything of "secure boot" or "TPM" of any revision, and ASUS hasn't offered a bios update in almost a decade - not that it would matter :)

Cheers!
I wouldn't be too upset that 12 year old systems couldn't take the latest OS release. The only item I have running that's that age is my NAS (IIRC, bought in 2008) but that's gone through three hard drive changes since the start. Currently using true NAS rated drives (replaced the desktop drives that was inside it). I expect to get more run years out of those.

Most of the time you can effectively turn it into a desktop machine with port replicators/docking stations and external monitors

Meh. I upgraded to LInux when that ghastly WinDOHs 8 came out. Running Ubuntu 20.04 now and finding it the best Linux yet for my purposes. Mrs. Monster is running 16.04 except her work computer she is forced to use WinDOHs.

Microsoft will never make everybody happy with their Windows build. They have to build an OS which works with a multitude of hardware, fulfills consumer and corporate capabilities, appease multiple levels of user aptitude, pundits, etc.

Meanwhile Apple upsets their (insert pun) cart whenever they choose and their zealots and cohorts fawn all over them.

And whomever is left (yes, I’m looking at you Nix deviants) espouse the benefits of open source and spit vitriol at all those that dare oppose their opinion.

Having said all that, in my home and professional life I utilize multiple versions of Windows OS, numerous Apple products of various form factor and am constantly attempting to up my *Nix game.

Microsoft will never make everybody happy with their Windows build. They have to build an OS which works with a multitude of hardware, fulfills consumer and corporate capabilities, appease multiple levels of user aptitude, pundits, etc.

Meanwhile Apple upsets their (insert pun) cart whenever they choose and their zealots and cohorts fawn all over them.

And whomever is left (yes, I’m looking at you Nix deviants) espouse the benefits of open source and spit vitriol at all those that dare oppose their opinion.

Having said all that, in my home and professional life I utilize multiple versions of Windows OS, numerous Apple products of various form factor and am constantly attempting to up my *Nix game.

Al I care about is keeping my apps working. I design ckt boards and write code for them, and the apps run on windows. There are a lot of low level hardware drivers that have to keep working (mostly stuff plugged into usb, serial and printer port are a thing of the past haha).

I've never considered Linux and IOS because it doesn't natively support my work. I'm sure it kicks azz for other stuff, but not my stuff.

CAD/CAE suite compatibility with successive OS versions was always a plague of issues for Cadence, that's for sure.
I was stuck on WinXP for years before they got Allegro on Windows 7 working, and again waiting for a fully functional WIndows 10 release.
Same deal with IP tunnels - Cisco moved at glacial speed dealing with OS versions...

More reasons why I'm happy to have retired :D

If past results can be used to predict the future, for many personal computing needs, Raspberry Pi became an interesting alternative about a year ago.

I only have a single RPi device here. I tried one years back, but gave up on it. The current one is ONLY running Tilt Pi to pair up with the Tilt Pro units I'm using. I can't see doing anything more with them until they address the wireless hardware shortfalls. It cannot connect from the basement to my router on the second floor. Even when every other item I have can (phone, tablets, etc.). I had to run a ethernet cable to it in order to get it on my network.

Honestly, if Tilt offered software that would run on Windows (or even Linux) I'd set up my old laptop to run that.

I only have a single RPi device here. I tried one years back, but gave up on it. The current one is ONLY running Tilt Pi to pair up with the Tilt Pro units I'm using. I can't see doing anything more with them until they address the wireless hardware shortfalls. It cannot connect from the basement to my router on the second floor. Even when every other item I have can (phone, tablets, etc.). I had to run a ethernet cable to it in order to get it on my network.

Honestly, if Tilt offered software that would run on Windows (or even Linux) I'd set up my old laptop to run that.
Isn't your RPi running Linux?

aiMesh. I have 3 routers meshed in my house for coverage everywhere, inside and out.

Isn't your RPi running Linux?

Tilt provides the entire contents for the microSD card for the Pi, so who knows. No GUI on it since I went with the 'no display' version. At the time I didn't have a convenient place for a display. Nor did I want to try and get one that was not huge.

aiMesh. I have 3 routers meshed in my house for coverage everywhere, inside and out.
Why should I get a mesh item JUST for ONE lone utility item?? Cheaper/easier to run an ethernet cable. When my switch was in that same area, it was a 3' cable. Now that I've moved things, I ran a longer cable between the pi and switch. My router is mesh ready, but I have no real need to spend on that. Maybe post move into my own house. Granted, by then I expect to be getting a WiFi 6 router. ;)

Tilt provides the entire contents for the microSD card for the Pi, so who knows. No GUI on it since I went with the 'no display' version. At the time I didn't have a convenient place for a display. Nor did I want to try and get one that was not huge.

Why should I get a mesh item JUST for ONE lone utility item?? Cheaper/easier to run an ethernet cable. When my switch was in that same area, it was a 3' cable. Now that I've moved things, I ran a longer cable between the pi and switch. My router is mesh ready, but I have no real need to spend on that. Maybe post move into my own house. Granted, by then I expect to be getting a WiFi 6 router. ;)

Yea, I prefer wired ethernet and have wired my house for it. But I also like to roam my property without wifi dropouts. If that's not an issue for you, then sure mesh makes no sense.

I also prefer wired but have adequate wifi coverage on both levels of our home and a decent amount of the property.
But the latter can be a tech-chase - I have a 6Gb Nighthawk (AX6000) for my primary access point and it's already been superseded by a faster model!

Cheers!

I feel like I did a little overkill with my wifi but I'd always manage to roam to a place where my wifi would drop, and I stream music, videos and podcasts a lot while working around the property. It's nice not having that issue!

@day_trippr don't worry about upgrading all the time. It really isn't worth it!

With that said, I'm heading to Amazon to window shop a little...

Al I care about is keeping my apps working. I design ckt boards and write code for them, and the apps run on windows. There are a lot of low level hardware drivers that have to keep working (mostly stuff plugged into usb, serial and printer port are a thing of the past haha).

I've never considered Linux and IOS because it doesn't natively support my work. I'm sure it kicks azz for other stuff, but not my stuff.
If you ever get bored download WSL. It allows you to natively run Linux apps on Windows, and Linux has some great IDEs for developing.

This is the real kicker... Been running the Windows Insider builds for a while. And now all of a sudden, the Windows 11 I've been running no longer meets the "requirements".
The TPM version 2.0 requirement is stupid. The new 2.0 capabilities are only leveraged in a very short list of Enterprise Business features that not every business even uses.
Secure boot is a good thing but forcing the issue??

Eh???
1634211443699.png

@passedpawn @day_trippr Using the Linksys AX6000 for my router/WAP (wifi 6, but my personal laptop isn't). Has more than enough coverage for where I'm living now. Who knows when I move but I can always add the mesh items at that point. I'll be looking at getting a router with at least a 2.5Gb WAN port at some point. Of course, my modem will need to support that too. Been trying to use a motorola MB8611 but it keeps rebooting every few days (1-4). Testing with a nutgear that a friend gave me and it's been a week without any issue. Motorola support keeps claiming it's the ISP. Had them out to fully test the service line. Zero issues there. I already did one return/replace with moto, so I'm out even MORE than the cost of the unit (I had to pay return ship for the first one). Suffice to say I'm pissed off at moto at this point.

@Nagorg I've seen routers listing at least 2.5Gb and some with 2.5/5.0 Gb WAN ports. Not many, but some. Same with the modems. It did seem odd that they're not using 10Gb speeds. Maybe it's a lower power version.

I usually look to 'future proof' items when possible. Since I'm on the 800Mbps download service, the next step is at least 1Gbps. I don't want the router/modem to limit me there. Even IF the modem can pull more speed, if it can't pass it to the router, it's pointless.

Reading about "Multi-Gig" WAN ports... Not really an IEEE standard and still associated with 10Gb physical ports. Just saying, seems a bit proprietary IMO. So lookout! :D

Back