Window Well Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattjmac

Reaction score
Did a search for window well and nothing came up. I live outside Chicago and this time of year it is always below freezing. Soon the average high temp will be in the 20's.

The brew area in my basement is in front of a large window well. Obviously the temperature out there is below freezing, but I got to thinking. What if I cover the window well up top with a board/insulation and let the frozen ground around the well maintain my temperature.

If it got too cold I could toss a light bulb out there, or just leave the window to the basement cracked a bit.

I think this would work, but I'm concerned about being able to control the temperature. Without having to buy another Ranco controller to power the light bulb, has anybody out there tried this? Any good results?

Without having to buy another Ranco controller to power the light bulb, has anybody out there tried this? Any good results?

I've not tried what you are talking about, but you can build yourself a small light-bulb heater using a cheap thermostat from the HW store.... no need to buy an expensive controller for something small like a lightbulb.

You can see mine in this picture, which I use to make sure my ferm chamber (fridge in the garage) does not get too cold in the winter months:

happy_pils.jpg

I was thinking of trying the same thing ... I guess my first thought was to just stick a thermometer in the well and check the temps (inside and outside) for a couple days. I thought it might be a good to try a diy ferm chamber with that pink insulation foam, to try to stabilize the temp swings.

I am in MA and last year I actually did a lager in my bulkhead. Just a pair of thin metal doors over some concrete stairs. I was really worrried about consistent temperature, but it ended up fluctuating (sp?) between 35 and 45 degrees. In the end, everything turned out fine and it ended up being one of my (and others) favorite beer.

A layer of insulation might help keep temps in a good range for you, but I am not sure gradual temp changes would cause any long term problems.

Thanks for your replies. I think I'm going to first throw a digital thermometer out there for a full day. It records the high and low temp ranges over a 24 hour period. If the range is within 10 degrees like Marko experienced, I'm just going to go for it. Otherwise, I may just make a cheap chamber like jtlawlor suggested coupled with a cheap temp controller like Walker suggested.

Walker, what kind of thermostat is that for? It can't be a home thermostat can it? My limited experience with HVAC tells me that home thermostats only carry about 3 volts DC, not the 120V AC that a light bulb would require.

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions.

I think it is a great idea if the temps remain relatively constant and you will try to measure that. My only other concern would be curious rodents. I would not leave the window to the basement open as a temperature control method for that reason. Mice can find their way into your house easily enough without leaving a window open for them

Thanks for your replies. I think I'm going to first throw a digital thermometer out there for a full day. It records the high and low temp ranges over a 24 hour period. If the range is within 10 degrees like Marko experienced, I'm just going to go for it. Otherwise, I may just make a cheap chamber like jtlawlor suggested coupled with a cheap temp controller like Walker suggested.

Walker, what kind of thermostat is that for? It can't be a home thermostat can it? My limited experience with HVAC tells me that home thermostats only carry about 3 volts DC, not the 120V AC that a light bulb would require.

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions.

I'm wanting to build the light/thermostat as well, except I may use a space heater instead of a light. I'm thinking something like this for the tstat? http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=211816-13468-K601TR

Do you think this will work in MN? We are in the negatives at night. I don't think a light bulb would heat it up enough. Might turn out an Ice beer!

Back