Window tint for where I brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davemalaka

Reaction score
I am just about done constructing my 200 square feet brewing/bar area. There is a large glider window that will be a pass thru bar. I want to protect my beer against light so I was thinking to tint the window to prevent the uv rays? Thoughts

If this room is a new build you can buy windows/doors with very effective UV and even IR blocking.
But I wonder at what point(s) in your beer's life it would be exposed to light to begin with?
I suppose if one bottles then has a glass front display cooler that might be an issue, but that's kinda a pathological case...

Cheers!

I guess it may come down to what type of fermentation vessels you use.

Thinking about my own brewing from just yesterday's session, all three kettles are lidded nearly the whole time, so no real chance of light striking the beer at any point in the actual brewing.

But when I fill my glass car boys I put black tee shirts on them until they've been aerated and stuffed inside a fermentation fridge. When they come out for kegging I use the same tee shirts. So that would be a point in the process where light blocking would be a good thing.

Otherwise - and again, back to the final packaging used - once the beer is in the kegs light is no longer any issue...

Cheers!

So if the beer sees some light on brew day it doesn’t matter?

It's not a major problem on brew day. If it were, everyone who boils outdoors on sunny days would have skunked beer (wort).

But once the yeast start to produce significant amounts of Riboflavin (which catalyzes skunking reactions), protect the wort/beer from light as much as possible.

Back