willliams brewing wine kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krenshaw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i wanted to start on a red wine and a white wine to start aging in my basement.. for the price/reviews, it seems that the kits from williams brewing are quite good.. i've ordered beer stuff from them so i know they are good company, but has anybody tried their wine kits? or have recommendations for reasonably priced ones from other places?

California Riesling Kit

California Pinot Noir Kit

They look pretty nice. I have no experience but I will certainly subscribe to this thread to see what others say. I like how they never raise the temperature over 180 degrees and have no sugar or acid added. I also like that they are 5 gallon kits so I could use my 5 gal carboys (I have 7) while my seasonal juice ferments in the bigger carboys.

They seem very concentrated - if that's fluid ounces, it'd be 1.5 gallons of concentrate. Most commercial wine kits come with anywhere between 9 and 15 liters of concentrate (and some of the most expensive ones come with a full six gallons of unconcentrated juice).

They seem very concentrated - if that's fluid ounces, it'd be 1.5 gallons of concentrate. Most commercial wine kits come with anywhere between 9 and 15 liters of concentrate (and some of the most expensive ones come with a full six gallons of unconcentrated juice).

Yes, I"d probably not use these kits because of the high concentrate. My preference is to use more juice, less concentrate. Otherwise, there is a "kit taste" that doesn't seem to go away.

So, that kit makes 640 ounces using 192 ounces of concentrate. This kit: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produ...d=763&osCsid=48ea72cebbed3befe8d5388be944a69b (I've seen it cheaper locally) uses 333 ounces (2.6 gallons) to make 768 ounces of wine. The "lowest quality" kit I would go with is that Vintner's Reserve kit. But I've seen it for $57 from time to time at another place.

ah, never noticed that before.. makes sense that the less the difference between the kit and the final volume the more likely the better product.. i'll keep that in mind..

Back