Willamette versus Cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhazel

Reaction score
I was going to brew Edwort's Haus Pale Ale and have all of the ingredients, but somehow had a brainfart and got Willamette hops instead of Cascade. I know Cascade are the thing to use for American Pale Ales...but...

Should I make another trip to the HBS? What will the flavor differences be?

Willamettes have a very subtle floral aroma and flavor to them, whereas Cascades have a pronounced Citrus quality. The beer IMHO needs that extra flavor, because the grain bill is very light on darker grains...after all it is a pale ale. If it's not a big deal, I'd head back to the LHBS. If you really don't want to, just use the Willamettes and I'm sure it will be fine. After fermentation is complete you can always dry hop with 1-2 ounces of Cascades to get that extra hoppy aroma and flavor.

I really do like Willamettes, but they belong more in a brown ale than a pale.

Absolutely with the Willamette it won't be the same brew but part of what makes this hobby/obsession great is creativty and improvision. Who knows? You may LOVE the flavor. Dry hopping can always be done though and then you end up with an even more hoppy brew which could be cool too. Good point though if it's no big deal to hit up your LHBS shop again just swing by but if not no worries.

Willamette hops are a hybrid variety of Fuggles, so I'd expect it to be like an English pale. More earthy flavors rather than the typical citrus overtones that you get from Cascade. If you like English style ales you probably wouldn't be disappointed, but it won't taste like an APA

Back