Willamette Hops Last Days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BendBrewer

Reaction score
Heard from a commercial brewer that AB isn't going to use Willamette Hops anymore and being the consumer of over 90% of them, they won't be grown anymore.

Anyone else hear anything about this?

****, looks like this is real old news.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009
The Future of Willamette Hops
Via Rooftop Brew, we have some potentially disturbing news about a mainstay of craft and home-brewing, Willamette hops:

I received word from the Hop Growers of America Conference that ABI (Anhuesher-Busch InBev) is going to stop using whole hops in their product and start using extracts. Additionally, they are going to stop using Willamettes, something they have spent the last year and a half touting on billboards in our region. This could have some major ramifications for local growers (who are being paid not to grow the varietal) as there are some limitations on what can be grown here because of susceptibility to downy mildews (guess what, it’s wet here.)

Strange though. The guy is a brewer at Deschutes and just mentioned it the other day explaining that they weren't going to be able to get anymore.

FMIDK.......

Methinks your "commercial" brewer might be out of touch with the market.

Sure he's an active brewer?

Disclosure: I went to theater school twelve years ago but still call myself an "actor". ;)

Methinks your "commercial" brewer might be out of touch with the market.

Sure he's an active brewer?

Disclosure: I went to theater school twelve years ago but still call myself an "actor". ;)

Yeah, like I mentioned he's a brewer at Deschutes. Been there over 15 years. It was his birthday when he told me this..............

BendBrewer said:
Yeah, like I mentioned he's a brewer at Deschutes. Been there over 15 years. It was his birthday when he told me this..............

How many beers into his birthday was he? ;)

Back