Will wort pH be the same after 48 hours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have access to a pH at work. Can I pull off a sample of wort on brew day and then bring it into work and measure it then? Will it change? It would be 48 hours or less.

I have access to a pH at work. Can I pull off a sample of wort on brew day and then bring it into work and measure it then? Will it change? It would be 48 hours or less.

The mash pH changes during the mash, and it changes more during the boil. Then, the yeast change it to where they desire it. So it wouldn't be a way to check for mash pH.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. After 15-20 minutes of the mash, I pull a few ounces out of the mash, strain the grain out, keep the wort sample completely separate at that point from anything else (it doesn't get boiled or fermented), bring it to work and then measure the pH. Up to 48 hours may have passed at that point. Will the pH change during that time?

From what I have heard, you should always perform the pH test as soon as possible after taking the sample. Back in my lab days, I would go get samples from the field, some parts of the sample would get preservatives added, some not and pH was ALWAYS done in the field at the time of sampling.
I have always just followed directions here, I have no explanation as to why.

You may still have active enzymes in your mash sample that cause it to change while in the container awaiting measurement. Not to mention if any other organisms are still active, they will possibly sour the wort and drop the pH.

Perhaps you can do a mini mash at work? You only need 1/2 pound of your grist mix and a quart of your water. On your own time, of course.

Last edited:
If you transfer the sample to a sanitized container (a disposable pre-sterilized plastic 50 mL centrifuge tube is ideal) with a close fitting cap and it is stored in a refrigerator you will probably be pretty close to the mash tun pH. Clearly I am thinking that the main thing that might throw you off would be infection of the sample by some bug whose metabolism would change the pH.

Be sure to re-warm the sample to room temperature before measuring the pH.

Back