Will using Centennial instead of Cascade for aroma hops work in this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to make an APA tomorrow but I am out of Cascade hops but do have Centennial hops. No LHBS within a reasonable drive (90 minutes). Anyone think that using Centennial hops for the aroma addition instead of Cascade would be OK?

8.5 lbs Pale Ale
0.5 lbs Caramel 60L
0.25 Carapils
0.5 oz Simcoe (60 min.)
0.5 oz Pearle (20 min.)
1.25 oz Cascade (0 min.)US-05 or Wyeast 1056

I also have some Amarillo hops. Would this be better or just different? I am running out of days to brew all grain sessions before packing it all away for the rest of the year.

I personally prefer centennial to cascade. Similar, both citrusy, but I just like the aroma and taste of centennial a bit more. It should work just fine.

I plan on making a Pale Ale and an Amber ale. I will be using both Cascade and Centennial in both and dry hopping both with Centennial. With the Pale Ale I am attempting to approach something like Long Trail Brewery's Pale Ale which has a mild bitterness, mild flavor and A LOT of aroma.
I hope it works.

Latest posts

Back