Will this yeast culture work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
I'm going to brew up a two hearted clone next week. I have a batch of a two hearted clone that I made this summer and the yeast is cultured from a couple of bottles of real two hearted. The brew didn't come out quite like I hoped - too sweet, poor efficiency, and I think my water profile was goobered up, but nothing that I would attribute to a poor yeast culture.

I want to start a new culture in prep for the brew session and was wondering if I should start over and get some real two hearted for the new culture or should I be okay using some from my summer batch. I just don't know if the yeast would be affected in any way by the factors that made my last batch less than stellar.

i would get new yeast. might as well start with a clean slate. and of course build up to the proper pitch size.

As long as you didn't have an infection, you'll probably harvest more viable yeast from your brew than from starting over w/ two-hearted. I've done this a few times without any problem (with different strains) - it's just a good idea to step it up a couple times. Always taste-test the yeast starter before committing it to the whole batch.

Back