Will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRTBREW

Reaction score
I'm an apartment dweller, and want to do all-grain brewing. I can get 6.5 gallons of water to a mild boil on my electric stove. The problem is I will probably end up damaging it with the weight and heat.

I was wondering if something like this would work for an indoor full boil with the LP tank out side with the gas line run to it. My brewpot s big enough to sit on all three burners. Please let me know.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RV-C...004QQitemZ140242297168QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

There are a couple things that you have to consider...

BTUs: I have something similar to that and there ain't no way it can generate anywhere near enough output to boil 6.5 gals.

Ventilation: Even if it has sufficient output, you are still going to need a method of adequately venting CO and providing safety in the event of leakage to make this idea even basically safe to use indoors.

Have you thought about split boils on your stove top or jacketing your kettle?

I have jacketed my kettle wityh the foil/bubble wrap insulation. With 1 wrap it could only get 6.5 up to 210. I have since double wrapped it and wrapped foil on the shield under the burner. Hopefully that will bump me up the extra couple of degrees. I'll try it with my first AG full boil this weekend.

I was wondering about the RV stove because I figured it would be safer to use indoors.

I'm also waiting for an e-mail back from my local fire dpt. about what fire codes I would need to comply with to brew outside my apartment

I'm no expert, but that thing looks under powered. I hope you can brew outside, it is safer.

Good Luck.

I have jacketed my kettle wityh the foil/bubble wrap insulation. With 1 wrap it could only get 6.5 up to 210. I have since double wrapped it and wrapped foil on the shield under the burner. Hopefully that will bump me up the extra couple of degrees. I'll try it with my first AG full boil this weekend.

I was wondering about the RV stove because I figured it would be safer to use indoors.

I'm also waiting for an e-mail back from my local fire dpt. about what fire codes I would need to comply with to brew outside my apartment

When I was an apartment dweller. The code was no open flame within 50 foot of the structure. For the money, youd do better to get a turkey fryer and a lawn chair. Set up on a picnic table in the courtyard watching all the ladies in their swimsuits.

Back