Will this work with a 2000w element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2000W / 120V = 16.7A

The relay rating on the Ranco for resistive loads is 15A. That said, I've seen reports from others who've used Ranco / Johnsons on HLTs that they indeed work. I'd be worried about the longevity of the relay pushing it that hard, but that's just my opinion.

kinda off topic.. but when using a thermo probe in an herms with an coil in the htl.. where should the probe go?

Let the ranco control a relay that takes the high current pounding and contact pitting. I went thru 2 hot tub stats that started to pit and vary the temps until the 3rd one was added that only controlled a relay. After that the temps were rock steady without the contacts pitting and lasted longer than my first marriage. That would be 12 years.

I use an A419 with a 1500W element, the temp probe is in the HLT.

Pol, I thought you used 5500W elements in your system? BK only?

BK only.

The HLT took a lot of things into consideration. A 5500W element is very long, a 1500W element is very short. I can have as little as 3.5 gallons left in my HLT and STILL have the element submerged.

The BK yes, is 5500W and is controlled by a PID instead.

Ummm.... okay

The next system will be able to hold 56 pounds grain with 25 gallon volumes in all three keggles should I want to have a one large stout brew day hence the high wattages posted. Granted if doing a 5 gallon batch the heating will be rather quick also but then each keggle will have two 5.5KW elements, I can heat up with only 5.5KW for slow or 11KW then switch and maintain temps with one 5.5KW element using the BCS 460 controller. I'm allowing myself these options plus not having those long heating times i've read on this forum over the years.
With a 60 amp dedicated brewing breaker, 2/4 SOOW cord on down to 12/3 in storage in 200' lengths feeding the elements or brewery system isn't a problem, slow heating times are to me, been there. I learned from past brew rig building mistakes on my part following advice and opinions hence going with my own wants, desires and needs.

I dont know what this has to do with the OP, but ok.

Just replying to your "Ummm.....OK" reply. This was needed to clear matters up with you not the OP of this thread Pol.
I might have a better understanding of electricity with 29 years as a electrician.

Now back to the OP.

Didnt know we had anything to clear up? Now I am really lost... to he OP

The next system will be able to hold 56 pounds grain with 25 gallon volumes in all three keggles should I want to have a one large stout brew day hence the high wattages posted. Granted if doing a 5 gallon batch the heating will be rather quick also but then each keggle will have two 5.5KW elements, I can heat up with only 5.5KW for slow or 11KW then switch and maintain temps with one 5.5KW element using the BCS 460 controller. I'm allowing myself these options plus not having those long heating times i've read on this forum over the years.
With a 60 amp dedicated brewing breaker, 2/4 SOOW cord on down to 12/3 in storage in 200' lengths feeding the elements or brewery system isn't a problem, slow heating times are to me, been there. I learned from past brew rig building mistakes on my part following advice and opinions hence going with my own wants, desires and needs.

Mutha, bet that suka humms......:drunk:

Back