Will this work?: Simplified.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All,

10 gal. Grain bill: (all German Weyermann malts):

8.8 Lbs. (4 kg) Munich malt
8.8 Lbs. (4 kg) Wheat malt, Dark
4.4 Lbs. (2 kg) Rye malt (for a zesty, rye 'zing', but also may provide enzymatic help... question below...)
2.2 Lbs. (1 kg) Caramel Wheat malt

Q#1: Will this mix have enough diastatic power to convert itself. (Guesses ARE allowed, and encouraged.)

Q#2: WLP300: Big starter, or not, for strong ester and phenol profile? ("Banana bread" would be acceptable to offset any Rye strength/'robustness'.) Guesses? What would YOU do for 10 gal. of Dunkelweizen if you had one vial of WLP300?

Q#3: (Off topic): Any suggestions for a SMaSH for Munich Malt and 1.75 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfrueh? Take a stab.

My first post elaborated on these questions, but was too long, and nobody read it. (This is already pressing that threshold. -I apologize.)

Here is the original, if anyone is remotely interested. It's in this same thread, under "AG: Dunkelweizen mashing and Tips, and Are Rye and Munich malts strong enough?". Link below:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/ag-dunkelweizen-mashing-tips-rye-munich-malts-strong-enough-170514/

Danke!

1) I'm not familiar enough with the caramel wheat, but I believe all the other malts have at least enough enzymes to convert themselves, so together I think you'll be fine. Maybe use a thicker mash to help the enzymes get to the starches.

2) I think you should pitch an appropriate amount of yeast and then alter fermentation temp to achieve the desired fruitiness. Since you have one vial and are making 10gal, you should probably do a stepped starter.

3) Just my opinion, but I hate SMaSHes... save the ingredients and add to the next brew.

Awesome! Thank you for the reply!

#1: Good idea. A thicker mash will be easier to step heat, too.
#2: Excellent recommendation. I hadn't thought about that angle. I'll probably do a 3L (1.5L for each 5 gal.) starter, and investigate how to achieve my flavor with temperature shifting during ferment.
#3: That's all I need to hear- a good excuse to buy more ingredients and brew more!

Again, thanks!

Anybody else have other angles/experiences?

Back