Will this work in place of a 2nd regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
Hopefully this works, but here's my idea. I'll hook it up this weekend and see how it goes.

First off, I have a manifold like this:
3WayManifold.jpg

http://www.homebrewhq.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=2257

they are modular, so you just add on how ever many you need, using a double 1/4" NPT nipple in between each to add on. I have 6.

I have my tank outside my keezer, and wanted a 2nd regulator for wheat beers, but not have 2 air lines going through my collar. (and would have to split up manifold as well)

So, my plan is this: Set my main regulator at the higher pressure (~20psi). it goes through collar and into manifold, and I'll have the first two valves dedicated for wheat beers or other higher pressure beers. In between 2nd and 3rd valve on manifold, I'll plop this little guy
image_4112.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-air-flow-regulator-98426.html

My local keg supply store (keg cowboy) had one laying around that he wanted to try out, so I bought it for $20. (this was before I knew it was harbor freight and that price.. no biggie)

it has 1/4" npt on one side, on the other is a swivel female NPT, but I just threaded another double 1/4" NPT nipple into that, so now on both sides of this little deal is 1/4" NPT, which will go right in between my manifold valves.

So now, valve 3 and on will be at whatever pressure I set this at, which will be ~12-14 psi.

anyway, just throwing it out there, this piece is relatively cheap compared to a whole new regulator..

any thoughts?

i could be wrong, but I think that is a flow regulator and not a pressure regulator.

you could do exactly what you've described except use a pressure reg.

i think flow regulator is just a misnomer on here.. by def., a regulator controls the pressure, not the flow, right? something that regulates flow is just a valve.

I'll guess I'll find out tonight, though it will be tough to really tell I think.. right away anyway.

the instructions say:
Press the button to see the current regulator pressure reading.
Turn the dial on the side of the regulator to change the regulator pressure setting.

so sounds like a reg. to me.

i think flow regulator is just a misnomer on here.. by def., a regulator controls the pressure, not the flow, right?

I'll guess I'll find out tonight, though it will be tough to really tell I think.. right away anyway.

well no

a flow reg controls flow rate

a pressure reg controls pressure

a peanut butter reg controls peanut butter

well no

a flow reg controls flow rate

a pressure reg controls pressure

a peanut butter reg controls peanut butter

Well what is pressure? Pressure is the resistance of flow. So if you're controlling the flow, and there is back pressure, well you are essentially controlling the pressure right?

pressure is not the resistance to flow, it's the driving force to flow.

pressure = voltage
flow rate = current
head loss = resistance (head loss due to friction, elevation, etc)

if your inlet pressure increases, your outlet pressure will change accordingly. i believe. imho. i'm pretty sure...

From the product manual:

Measurement Range
4-160 PSI
Accuracy
± 1.0 PSI at 4-80 PSI
± 1.5 PSI at 81-160 PSI

It adjusts and measures pressure.

yeh.. so back to my original thought.. the labeling of air flow regulator is just a misnomer..

anyway, assuming it works, it's a $15 alternative to an additional regulator gauge.

It's definitely a pressure regulator:

1. pressure reading. Turn the dial on the side of the regulator to
2. change the regulator pressure setting.
Press the button again to turn the display off.
3. If left on, the display will turn itself off
4. automatically after about 45 seconds to increase battery lifespan.

M_C

Customer Reviews at your link . . . said:
Technically, this is a FLOW regulator and not a true pressure regulator. If you close the outlet the outlet pressure will swing to whatever the inlet pressure is. A true pressure regulator, like those used on welding gas tanks, keeps the outlet pressure at a constant value regardless of the actual flow. When the flow is blocked the outlet pressure is still at the set point.

Still, works well when you can set the pressure with the air flowing and you don't care that the pressure exceeds the set point when air flow is stopped. I use it for an air brush setup.
In other words, once the gas stop flowing, the pressure in your keg will eventually be the same as the pressure set on your main regulator.

That thing is just a valve (flow regulation) with a pressure readout. The valve creates a restriction in the line, causing a pressure drop DURRING FLOW. This is not the same as a spring/diaphram regulator that actually regulates pressure. It does nothing more than your brass manifold valves. I'd love to be shown wrong. Read the reviews on harbour freight. They say the same.

well, the verdict:
I think it works, at some point during my toying around with it, I got it to read a lower pressure than what my regulator was set at. (I had regulator at 18 psi and this thing about 12-13). But when I poured a beer, it seemed like it was pouring at the higher pressure, not really sure how to test unless I put the regulator real high and this at 12 psi.. and it took quite a bit of messing around to actually get it to be like this. Openeing closing manifold valves, turning little knob up then down then up then down.. The little knobby deal wasn't consistent. After about 20 min.. I said, you know what, for another $15, I can just get a second regulator.. so I took it off and will bring it back to keg cowboy today.

Back