Will this work for hop support

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snicklefritz

Reaction score
My original plan was to attach some eye hooks to the eaves of my roof and allow the hops to grow on the side of my house. Apparently, my wife does not particularly like the aesthetics of hops growing up the house. I have been pushed to the backyard. I really don't want to have to build a trellis. Looking in my backyard I came across an idea. I have 2 very large trees in my backyard along a hillside. The trees are about 50-75 ft apart. My idea would be to use an eye hook on each tree then run a main cable between the trees. I would then run the climber lines down from the main cable. I am assuming the cable will need to have some significant strength. I am also going to try to make it easily lowered for planting and harvest time so I wont have to figure out a way to get 20ft up in the air with nothing to lean a ladder against. I've attached a drawing of what I'm thinking. I am planning on growing 5 different plants, 4 different varieties. Is there any reason this is a bad idea? Anything I'm not thinking about?

hoptrellis-62615.png

This will work. You don't have to go up 20. 16 will work. The two things to watch out for are 1.) keep different varieties far enough apart so they don't mix together. If they are 4 feet apart or closer, they will easily grab ahold of each other or reach across the top wire and then you have an unknown mixture of hops. 2), Watch for low hanging tree limbs from above. Once they hit the top wire, they may jump to a tree limb and now the bulk of your cones are produced 30 feet up in the tree...not the first year but eventually...where you can't get to them. Yes, I've seen it happen before.

I was thinking of planting the like varieties about 3 ft apart and different varieties 5-6 ft. Is that far enough spacing?

I have done something similar but have a fixed eyes to the cable which gives me the abiliyt to lower each variety. I have four different varieties and they are ready at different times.

My original plan was to attach some eye hooks to the eaves of my roof and allow the hops to grow on the side of my house. Apparently, my wife does not particularly like the aesthetics of hops growing up the house. I have been pushed to the backyard. I really don't want to have to build a trellis. Looking in my backyard I came across an idea. I have 2 very large trees in my backyard along a hillside. The trees are about 50-75 ft apart. My idea would be to use an eye hook on each tree then run a main cable between the trees. I would then run the climber lines down from the main cable. I am assuming the cable will need to have some significant strength. I am also going to try to make it easily lowered for planting and harvest time so I wont have to figure out a way to get 20ft up in the air with nothing to lean a ladder against. I've attached a drawing of what I'm thinking. I am planning on growing 5 different plants, 4 different varieties. Is there any reason this is a bad idea? Anything I'm not thinking about?

hoptrellis-62615.png

That should work fine but let me make a suggestion. Wrap a cable with rubber over it on the top instead of using an eye bolt, just loop the end or use a wire feral so you can lower it. One of my buds tried that and the eye pulled out in the wind when the bines were around 12' tall. They act like a sail. He had a 6" eye bolt in the trunk, and the tree looks like it is now dead. Like Dan said watch the spacing of the different varieties. Have fun with it it is very rewarding.

One thing I forgot is to run a wire ( I use electric fence wire, like mechanics wire) Not a cable across the bottom about 6-12" from the soil to tie the strings to. I just noticed the distance between the trees so I would use two stakes for the wire, once the bines get hold of the string they are not going anywhere. It makes life much easier year to year.

A friend of mine cuts down trees near power-lines and has access to free bamboo. Him and I plan on using the bamboo to build a trellis system.

We want it to be tall, sturdy, and simple. I drew up around 10 different designs and picked the best one.

The final design will probably be about 18'-20' tall and about 1'-2' underground.

I'm wondering what you guys think about the design or if anyone has experience using bamboo as a hop trellis?

hop trellis.png

When we first got into this my neighbor (yes Dan it was Mike) and I cut some of the bamboo from my property ( do not plant any unless you want a full time job keeping it in check) It split pretty quickly. I am sure there is a way of drying/preserving it. The stuff is super light and strong. If you can dry/preserve it it probably would work great for a short run. It is also very flexible, something to remember. One single piece would probably not be strong enough for more than a plant or two. Maybe three pieces in a "teepee shape would probably work out. I would take the end of the top runner and anchor it a few feet past the ends for more support. You can also use the ends to lower the runner at harvest time. I use rebar with washers welded to it but you can get away with a screw in tent stake, harbor freight them, they are abot 18" long, or if needed pm me i still have some from my trial periods. One thing I forgot on my field when I set it up was normal wind direction. If possible put the rows parallel with the normal wind direction. When the bines get up there they act like a sail. Hope this helped you out.

Latest posts

Back