Will this vent hood work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snicklefritz

Reaction score
I want to move my brewing setup from my garage to my own little dedicated brewery in the basement. I'ts going to be a very small room (80 sq. ft.) But I don't need anything crazy since I use a single vessel e-biab system that doesn't need much room.

I've started gathering some materials and have been on the lookout for a SS vent hood on CL (I've already scored a SS sink and prep table). Yesterday, my boss was telling me a story about how he is remodeling his kitchen and when his vent hood arrived it came broken. Rather than have him send back the huge hood, they just told him to destroy it and sent him a new one and now he has this broken one just sitting around. I told him I may be interested in buying it from him and he brought me in the specs for it today.

Here is a link to the hood:
http://www.cavalierehoods.com/products/Cavaliere-AP238%2dPSD-Wall-Mount-Range-Hood.html

The glass over hang is what is broken which I don't think I would even need for my uses. Will this fan do the job for the setup described above? I'm mostly worried about the CFM rating.
If I can score this thing for cheap and it will work I'm all over this... I may even be inside by this winter!

Should work, but the glass overhang would have caught a lot of steam. The glass could be replaced with a piece of semi rigid plastic glued to the top of the unit. Less condensation on plastic than glass also.

It will drip, even if you leave the fan exposed. But, it works. AFAIK all hoods drip, unless the fan is way up there and you have a bend to gather condensation.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to give it a shot, especially since the boss decided to just give it to me for free :)

That thing needs 860 cfm because it has no capture ability, ie. it doesnt have front, side, rear walls. The glass portion is just for show; it looks great, but doesn't increase capture. Build a box around it and it will capture steam just fine, but that design might drip like crazy. 150 cfm per linear foot of hood is all you need, less if you drop that puppy close to your brew kettle.

I agree with TheZer. 860 cfm is more than enough. I would build a simple metal catch box under the hood. Put a lip around the edge to catch drips with a small drain hose at the low point and you'd be all set. You could drain into a bucket or sink or whatever.

Just to add. It (almost) doesn't matter how many cfm's you field if you don't have a draft throught your room. Whenever you pull air out, you need to fill the room with the same amount of air. If you don't have an easy flow of air through your room you will experience a huge drop in efficiency of your exhaust-fan.

I wouldn't get it. We had one similar in our kitchen, when one part fails (motor, control panel) then the whole thing is junk....unless your lucky and you can track down parts from the mfctr.

I would get an inline duct fan (search on ebay), and make your own hood. Even a basic canopy made from wood and painted would be better. You can get a seperate controller for the fan to control speed. All for less than $80 and easy to implement in your setup.

Back