Will this stuff float down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewce

Reaction score
I have this gallon of cyser that’s been fermenting for two weeks. The bubbling out of the airlock has crawled to almost a standstill. How long will It be until this stuff sinks down, generally speaking? Or will it float to the bottom?

Attachments

• 94CB10B7-F618-4FF0-A127-8F6DF3651BA0.jpeg
    94CB10B7-F618-4FF0-A127-8F6DF3651BA0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
What yeast? What was the complete recipe?

I've never had cyser look like that, never, and I've made a good bit of cyser.

You might try giving the bottle a twist every now and then. De-gassing may help too as the can bubbles can help support the muck.

Also, two weeks on what looks like a 1.120 starting gravity isn't long. You may be looking at a couple months for this to get completely done.

All the Best,
D. White

What yeast? What was the complete recipe?

I've never had cyser look like that, never, and I've made a good bit of cyser.

You might try giving the bottle a twist every now and then. De-gassing may help too as the can bubbles can help support the muck.

Also, two weeks on what looks like a 1.120 starting gravity isn't long. You may be looking at a couple months for this to get completely done.

All the Best,
D. White

As per your advice, I did swirl it to degas a bit. Most of the gunk (probably sediment from the original apple juice i used, it was a Whole Foods organic juice which had a bit of it) fell to the bottom, had some floaters still so far. Measured it, and it came out to about .996 or .998. I’ll keep an eye on it and degas it. I feel as though I’ll have to rack it through a sieve and funnel though. I poured a bit out to taste it and it didn’t taste spoiled at all so that’s good haha

As per your advice, I did swirl it to degas a bit. Most of the gunk (probably sediment from the original apple juice i used, it was a Whole Foods organic juice which had a bit of it) fell to the bottom, had some floaters still so far. Measured it, and it came out to about .996 or .998. I’ll keep an eye on it and degas it. I feel as though I’ll have to rack it through a sieve and funnel though. I poured a bit out to taste it and it didn’t taste spoiled at all so that’s good haha

I'm sure it's fine, just ugly.

I'd just leave it where it is until it all falls. If you rack it you're going to have a big air space in the receiving bottle that will lead to oxidation and possible infection issues unless you add boiled water or something to get it into the neck of the bottle.

Patience is the mead maker's best friend.

All the Best,
D. White

Back