Will this setup work for my brew Sunday?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlaflamm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thank for whatever advice you can share.

Still doing extract only, sometimes with specialty grains. Bought some new equipment recently:
10 gal boilermaker
Therminator
Thrumometer
March 815-PL pump

I will break in this equipment tomorrow and I am seeking last minute advice on whether my planned configuration will work(?). Please see pic. I plan to place the board pictured on the table that my Blichmann burner is on, so it will be a little below my BK. The carboy will also be on the table. Pump outlet is on top.

IMG_20130309_210721.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmyaec8vfxo8aow/Pump_and_chiller.jpg

Nice.
what's that last thing (on the right) ?

I was wondering if you'd have trouble getting the pump primed with the inlet pointing down.

Wow...went fancy before going allgrain ! Looks good, aslong as she primes!
have fun!

Nice.
what's that last thing (on the right) ?

I was wondering if you'd have trouble getting the pump primed with the inlet pointing down.

Thanks. The last thing on the right is the Blichmann "thrumometer" (in-line thermometer). I notched out the block of wood it is on so I can just mount it with elastics and easily remove it for cleaning.

I've read most of the (really long!) thread here where Walter from March pumps answers questions from home brewers. It sounds like the orientation of the outlet is more important than the inlet because it will better release air when pointed up. But I'm not positive and that is one of things I'm wondering about (orientation of pump head). Maybe placing the board on a bench a little further under the height of my brew table will provide more head so the wort will be able to make it up that inlet. I'll have to experiment with water first.

I'm in a bit of a pickle because I have a brew in my primary that I need to bottle this morning before my brewing partner comes over in a couple hours, yet I really want to give this new equipment a proper test drive first too. I need the carboy for today's brew. I'll just have to fit it all in because risking using this new rig without any testing just isn't a good idea. :cross:

Wait... You dropped a crapload of $$$$ on all the Blickmann Bling and you only have ONE CARBOY available??

Wait... You dropped a crapload of $$$$ on all the Blickmann Bling and you only have ONE CARBOY available??

Here, I'll add it for you. :)

:) Yeah... So here's the back story. I started brewing (extract only) back in grad school for a few years, probably starting in 1999. I stopped when I graduated around 2003 because I wanted to focus on getting my career and family started. Now that my second kid is 5, I'm finally making time to get back into it. I've always wanted to go all-grain but in grad school finances were tighter. For this recent binge of equipment buying, I had a stash of "fun money" saved up from the last three years from birthdays and such, otherwise I wouldn't have gone so big so fast! I actually have three carboys -- two that are 6+ gallons and one 3 gallon. The three gallon is empty right now, but one of the carboys has a batch of EdWort's famous apfelwein in it and that will keep it tied up for quite a while. The carboy I'll be freeing up has a mild session brown ale in it ready for bottling. I've got an Abbey Ale and an IPA in bottles.

It does seem I have been re-bitten by the homebrewing bug lately!

Thank for whatever advice you can share.

Still doing extract only, sometimes with specialty grains. Bought some new equipment recently:
10 gal boilermaker
Therminator
Thrumometer
March 815-PL pump

I will break in this equipment tomorrow and I am seeking last minute advice on whether my planned configuration will work(?). Please see pic. I plan to place the board pictured on the table that my Blichmann burner is on, so it will be a little below my BK. The carboy will also be on the table. Pump outlet is on top.

IMG_20130309_210721.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmyaec8vfxo8aow/Pump_and_chiller.jpg

I'd turn the pump head so the inlet/outlet are horizontal.

Back