Will this Regulator work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac00

Reaction score
I'm slowly gathering my kegging equipment together......browsing around kijiji (similar to craigslist) and found a CO2 regulator for sale. I'm wondering if its useable and ok for kegging. Its originally for welding.....argon/CO2.....but from what i read, its still ok. Here's a pic.....please let me know if this is good enough to use. Price seems decent. Thanks.

Argon-Regulator.jpg

:mug:

One way to find out. :D

My only concern would be whether the threads matched your other equipment. For what its worth, I have a "non-standard" regulator on my setup (by nonstandard, I mean different gauge ranges).

Well, so far, i have no equipment.....except for the corny kegs. He's asking $25 for it? sound decent? He had another one for sale, brand new, for 30 but i missed out on it......looked a bit different than this one.

I looks like male threads on the inlet, and my regulator has female threads on the inlet.

What's 25 CAN? Is that like 50 U.S.?:D

I looks like male threads on the inlet, and my regulator has female threads on the inlet.

What's 25 CAN? Is that like 50 U.S.?:D

Good point about the threads....others i've seen have the female as well, and i think most tanks take the female ends.........hmmmmm...wonder if there's an adapter or something. will have to think about this.

your conversion's about right...:) :mug: .......once upon time we were at par...oh the times have changed now....:tank:

Ok, looks like an adapter can be had for about 10 bucks......So how's $35 for this regulator? I'm a newbie with kegging, but want to keep my costs down at the moment until i'm fully setup. Locally, a regulator from the LHBS is $90.....if i get the one in the pic, will it do the same thing as the one from the LHBS???

thanks in advance.

Only other problem is that you might not be able to use the right-hand gauge all that much and that gauge tells you how much is left in your tank. That sucker goes up to 28,000 PSI. My CO2 regulators only go to 2,000 PSI and I don't think I've ever seen a full tank at over 1,000 PSI.

Then, my regulators have a shaded "order gas" area that is only from 0 to 500 PSI.. a range I think that would be really hard to read on the regulator you have above.

I would just look on EBAY for a regular CO2 regulator... they're not that expensive and certainly less than $90 and after you buy an adapter (CO2 tanks require female regulators) you're looking at the same price for a regular regulator

Only other problem is that you might not be able to use the right-hand gauge all that much and that gauge tells you how much is left in your tank. That sucker goes up to 28,000 PSI. My CO2 regulators only go to 2,000 PSI and I don't think I've ever seen a full tank at over 1,000 PSI.
No that's kPa...and a Pascal is a tiny, tiny unit of measurement for pressure (EDIT: 1 Pa = 0.000145 psi...it's a mosquito-fart :)). The inner orange scale is psig and it goes to 4000 psig.

I wonder about the low gage though...it looks like some sort of flowmeter. See how it has two scales...one for Argon and one for CO2. And it has no units listed except it says 'CFH' which could mean 'cubic feet per hour'. I know CFM means 'cubic feet per minute'. Also note that the low gage says 'use special orifice'...which of course would restrict flow.

The regulators body in the photo above, says it's an oxygen regulator.
so to answer your question, Will this Regulator work? yes it will work, but not for very long.
the diaphragm inside will not stand up to C02's cold temperature.

Glad to have all you here for help...much appreciated. Just to let you know, i listened you all you (i'm usually stubborn and don't listen:D) and opted not to get this and wait for a proper regulator.....and i'm sure glad i did. Scored an awesome deal on a brand new one, never used...along with a few other things...including 2 x 20lb tanks, both full, one aluminum, one regular steal....3 more kegs, and one's already full of beer, along with the brand new regulator and lines and picnic tap....

not bad for $150 for all i thought....:mug:

Back