Quantcast

Will this oxidize my beer?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

sivdrinks

Reaction score
Hey all. Our homebrew club is doing a barrel project, a bunch of us are making identical Imp Stouts and then transporting to a common site to rack into the bourbon barrel. If we as homebrewers are taught to be careful racking our beers to as not to oxidize them how will driving my beer, sloshing around in my car not get ruined?

dmtaylor

Lord Idiot the Lazy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Purge your transportation vessel with CO2 before leaving. But nobody else in your club will do that so why should you? Not to mention, the bourbon barrel is full of air and is porous. It really won't matter. You worry too much.

RM-MN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When fermentation is done, my fermenter has no oxygen in it to oxidize the beer, no matter how much sloshing it does. It might stir up some trub but that will settle out pretty quickly.

OP
sivdrinks

sivdrinks

Reaction score
Purge your transportation vessel with CO2 before leaving. But nobody else in your club will do that so why should you? Not to mention, the bourbon barrel is full of air and is porous. It really won't matter. You worry too much.

Worry too much? I'd prefer not to have 60 gallons of ****ty beer, but thanks for your input anyway.

dmtaylor

Lord Idiot the Lazy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Worry too much? I'd prefer not to have 60 gallons of ****ty beer, but thanks for your input anyway.
Sorry, I should have used the kinder, gentler Papazianism: "Relax. Don't worry." I'm not good with people.

I guess if you purge with CO2 and it still turns out crappy, at least it won't be your fault. Or, like RM-MN says, if there's CO2 in the vessel already, then you really do need to relax, don't worry.

m00ps

Reaction score
I doubt there will really be much "sloshing" unless you trip going down the stairs or drive like a gaping dickhole....I moved 6 full fermentors during my move a few months back and every one of them turned out fine. 2 were IPAs and they didnt seem oxidized

OP
sivdrinks

sivdrinks

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have used the kinder, gentler Papazianism: "Relax. Don't worry." I'm not good with people.

I guess if you purge with CO2 and it still turns out crappy, at least it won't be your fault. Or, like RM-MN says, if there's CO2 in the vessel already, then you really do need to relax, don't worry.

All good, guess I'll rack into a purged keg to transport. Never moved fermented flat beer before, never had a reason.

OP
sivdrinks

sivdrinks

Reaction score
I doubt there will really be much "sloshing" unless you trip going down the stairs or drive like a gaping dickhole....I moved 6 full fermentors during my move a few months back and every one of them turned out fine. 2 were IPAs and they didnt seem oxidized

Gaping dickhole???