Will this kettle be OK for an EBIAB build?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverz

Reaction score
I am considering switching to EBIAB and was wondering if my current kettle is an ideal size or if I would be better off selling it and getting something that would be a more ideal size.

I usually only do 5 gallon batches but have a 60qt. kettle that measures 18 3/4 x 13 3/4. Most EBIAB setups that I have been looking at seem to be using taller/slimmer kettles whereas mine is short.

What is the consensus about kettle shape for EBIAB kettles?

I would like to get opinions from others before I start popping a bunch of holes in my current kettle only to find out it doesn't work out.

Let me know.

One potential downside of a large shallow wide pot is that your volume below the FB may be disproportionate to the batch size, especially with a larger 15 gallon kettle, IF you plan to recirc and use a FB.

With larger grain bills, and a large volume below the FB your mash may be stiff, or not possible depending. With say 3" below the FB, you'd have 3 1/2 gallons outside the mash????

Maybe I'm fear mongering a bit, idk.

Wouldn't make much difference if you plan on using electric, and just are going with insulation during the mash rest.

One potential downside of a large shallow wide pot is that your volume below the FB may be disproportionate to the batch size, especially with a larger 15 gallon kettle, IF you plan to recirc and use a FB.

With larger grain bills, and a large volume below the FB your mash may be stiff, or not possible depending. With say 3" below the FB, you'd have 3 1/2 gallons outside the mash????

Maybe I'm fear mongering a bit, idk.

Wouldn't make much difference if you plan on using electric, and just are going with insulation during the mash rest.

I am planning on going electric and recurculating. I think this kettle is going to have to find a new home and I'll look into something taller and more narrow.

Taller and narrower also had the benefit of easier distribution of wort during recirculation. With a short and wide kettle it becomes more difficult to evenly distribute the recirculated wort.

Back