Will this Jet Burner work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoodyCopperpot

Reaction score
I am in the process of starting to make my 3 keggle brew system, and as of now, I only have the propane burner that I originally had before starting this project. I'm looking into buying a couple more, but I dont know enough about Jet Burners to comfortably just go buy them willy nilly.
I found this one online for like $27, will it work? I generally only brew 5 gallon batches, so I'd be boiling 7 gallons tops most of the time. But I may want to do a 10 gallon batch at one point. Will this handle boiling all of that?

that burner will work OK, the biggest issue I have heard with those is that you will need to plug up several of the jets to get the flame right. My suggestion is go with the banjo!

I use a similar burner for my mash-tun, mine has a pilot though which i would reccomend. I didn't plug any of the ports because i have a 30 gallon blichmann, however, it works great.

I kinda wish folks would forget about the multijet burners, they are a poor choice for the conventional "Brutus" design brew stands, most of which use the 10" Banjo burners. When multijet burners are used with propane they have a narrow window "Wide open" where they will burn clean, lowering the inlet pressure causes the flame to turn yellow as the jets can not pull enough air to work correctly. The 10" banjo style burners will work well across the entire flow range and are easily converted betweeen high pressure, low pressure propane, and Natural gas with an $8 jet.
Just look at the number of systems built with 10" Banjo burners vs. the few multijet burner systems seen. With keggles more than 80,000 btu burner output is a waste of gas, all that is done is burn up everything on the sides of the keggle.

I wish people would quit calling every 1tier stand a brutus clone (no offense Lonnie)

It is interesting to note that MoreBeer uses the cheap noisy 4" cast iron burners except on the burner which has a gas valve on it. That burner is a 23 jet.
The jet burners do work well at low psi and furnace gas valves do not work at higher psi. My guess their philosophy is that if the burner is going to be on intermittently, there's no reason to throttle it.
Just my observation...
6" cast iron burners are plenty for keggles and half the price.
Kinda funny how brewers will skimp on their equipment, save money every where they can and then go buy big honkin' banjo burners.

I'm prepared to be flamed... pun intended

Thanks for the input! So say I were to buy a 6" cast iron burner... The ones that come up on amazon are Bayou Classic replacement burners. Would I be able to retrofit that onto a stand of my own? For when I get the 3 kegged stand built? It looks like it has special ports in the back, but that could just be the fitting that the hose connects to for all I know.
Any recommendations as to the best price for the burner online?

How does it perform vs. the 10" Banjo burner in terms of efficiency, heat output, time to boil, etc?

It's a lower BTU burner so you will have a longer time to boil point. As for efficiency, that I have no idea, that would have to be weighed versus the longer burn time. However, once at a boil, the amount of gas required to maintain the boil is far less.

The 10" burners are the preferred size for the HLT and boil kettle applications, and the 6" is the preferred size for the direct fired mash tuns.The 10" burners when operated on low pressure propane or natural gas are just the right size for use under keggles. The larger multijet burners have impressive BTU ratings, but most of that just goes up the sides and does nothing to speed heating. Look at the number of systems built with 10" burners and how few of the multijet systems there are.

I went jet burner 32. first the flame yellow and not enught prresure. then change the reg to HP. and now I have punch but not enought blue flame. It work I get boiling really fast but the kegs come with a lot tarnish. I think that the burner inlet fitting should have a small oriffice goin in to it. so it dont pour all this prresure in to it

ANy help welcome
chuck Peterson

I kinda wish folks would forget about the multijet burners, they are a poor choice for the conventional "Brutus" design brew stands, most of which use the 10" Banjo burners. When multijet burners are used with propane they have a narrow window "Wide open" where they will burn clean, lowering the inlet pressure causes the flame to turn yellow as the jets can not pull enough air to work correctly. The 10" banjo style burners will work well across the entire flow range and are easily converted betweeen high pressure, low pressure propane, and Natural gas with an $8 jet.
Just look at the number of systems built with 10" Banjo burners vs. the few multijet burner systems seen. With keggles more than 80,000 btu burner output is a waste of gas, all that is done is burn up everything on the sides of the keggle.

I am in the process of starting to make my 3 keggle brew system, and as of now, I only have the propane burner that I originally had before starting this project. I'm looking into buying a couple more, but I dont know enough about Jet Burners to comfortably just go buy them willy nilly.
I found this one online for like $27, will it work? I generally only brew 5 gallon batches, so I'd be boiling 7 gallons tops most of the time. But I may want to do a 10 gallon batch at one point. Will this handle boiling all of that?

It will work maybe a little overkill. I have a 10 tipped one tht handles 10 gallon batches just fine

NEW DISCOVERY. THE BURNER i BOUGHTH are for NAT gas. I am using LP gas. I pull a tip from the burner and compare the measurements with a brand new replacement tip I got for LP style.

the NAT tip show .050 orifice fro gas and fhe 4 holes for oxigen measure .233. the brand new tip show .055 center hole and the 4 holes measure .0252. SO I am pushing high preasure gas with tips for natural gas. I will strt to modify on of the burner to see if I can make it work.

Charles

Back