Will this harshness fade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwomp313

Reaction score
I moved not too long ago and I started using the tap water to brew. I now have a couple of beers with this really harsh bitterness. I've read that this can either be from too high of sulfate or from the water being too alkaline. Does anyone know if this this will fade given time?

If it it really is a water profile issue, it probably won't fade. Ask your municipal water works for a mineral analysis or send a sample off to Ward labs.

I had the same issue with my tap water here. It might fade a tiny bit but at the same rate that the overall bitterness of the beer would fade. Which can take a while since usually hop bitterness is the last thing that ages out.

No unfortunately I live in an apartment which runs off a well. Not sure what the report is for this water. I don't really wanna pay for the report either since we're probably moving in a couple months. Just gonna use bottled water til then. I just don't want to waste the couple beers I brewed. One's a barleywine which I plan on aging, hopefully it'll be drinkable in a year or so?

I'd give it time. I thought I added too much gypsum to a recent saison brew. Fermentation dried it right out and there was a very harsh bitterness. I calculated the sulfate addition might have been a bit too much. Sat 3 weeks in secondary and it completely went away. I was worried but in the end it was fine.

Back