Will this Grain Mill work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbuddy

Reaction score
I just finished my first AG batch this past Sunday and got about 70% efficiency out of my setup. My only gripe was the $2.50/# the LHBS charged me for the grain.

I would like to start buying at least the base malt in bulk to cut down on the cost. Because at those prices it cost almost the same as an extract kit.

Does anybody know if this mill will work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T3ML4G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick reply. I have a gift card so the cost to me is basically the shipping.

No problem, just note its going to take some patience. That is not the most efficient mill you can use, but its good enough...

You can very easily attach a drill to those and take most of the work out of it. The key is to take your time (and a couple pounds of grain) to get it dialed in initially. After that they work great. Do a search for 'corona mill' and you will find lots of info on them.

That is what is known as a corona mill. It will work (several people here use them), but a roller mill is generally considered a better alternative. A popular model advocated by several members here is a barley crusher, and they cost a little over $100.

I would love a roller mill but can not swing one at this time. I was hoping that it was at least as good as a Corona as it is the only mill offered on Amazon with a large enough hopper.

Thanks for the info.
Paul

It's actually pretty easy to extend the hopper, I just bought a really large funnel and cut it to size. This holds 6KG of grain (enough for most batches).

5408-grain_mill_small.jpg

That's actually an old picture. I've since made it look 'nicer' with aluminum flashing to direct the grain better. It's nice and ugly now. :D

My mill is made by Porkert.

Back