Will this contactor/relay work for my intended setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigirishape

Reaction score
I was hijacking PJ's Diagram thread with questions, so I'm moving out here to a new thread.

I am modeling my build after Kal's TheElectricBrewery. Same elements, same SSRs, and in my attempt to purchase DPDT relays, I picked these up:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_31&products_id=403

Nothing wrong with them, but they are 240v coil, instead of the 120v coil listed on the parts sheet. I just didn't buy the right part. I also only bought 2 of them when I needed 3.

I'm planning to return the two 240v coil relays to Auberins, and instead pick up three of these relays: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KGSJ74/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Does anybody see any issues with that?

Last edited by a moderator:
1 - you can use a contactor with 240v. Just a small diagram modification required.
2- That contactor from Amazon is perfectly fine.

Considering the parts I've purchased mimic Kal's site almost to a T (minus the 50a shunt for the power meters), what would you recommend?

Keep the 240's and buy one more to give me a trio of 240v coils, or return the 2 and buy 3 120v coils for about the same price + shipping of the third 240v coil?

1x 240v coil from Auberins + shipping = ~$24
3x 120v coil from Amazon + shipping = ~$33

Also, I get ~$34 back from Auberins on the returns of the 2x 240v coils if I go the Amazon route.

What kind of diagram modifications are we talking about to keep the 240v coils?

I'm going to just make life easy on myself and buy the 120v options, and return the 240v options.

Done and done. Thanks!

Since auber parts is overpriced it's more cost efficient to return contactors to them and buy new three on Amazon.
But if you in a hurry you can easily use 240v contactors.

Just purchase one more 120V one. They don't all have to be the same. Or find a cheap 240V one on amazon or ebay if your have OCD or it doesn't work with your panel design.

They probably all come from the same factory anyway.

The difference between the 240V and 120V is the 240V uses both hots to energize the coil, while the 120V uses one hot and the neutral.

Back