Will This Be Pretty Hoppy, or Pretty Floppy ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstranger99

Reaction score
Double IPA from Midwest:

1 oz chinook (60min)
1/2 oz cascade (45min)
1/2 oz centennial (30min)
1/2 oz cascade (20min)
1/2 oz centennial (10min)
1 oz crystal (5min)

2 oz dry hop 1 week with cascade whole leaf hops ...

I see some of you guys on here using a ton of hops, just curious, what can I expect from this IPA? Pretty hoppy, or on the mild side ?...

Assuming a five gallon batch, and an OG ~ 1085, I calculate ~78 IBU, which is right in line for the style. If you want to try to bump up the IBU, you might try moving all of your late hop additions (20 minutes remaining and later) to first wort hopping. The dry hopping will help to give it that aroma that increases the impression of bitterness. Let us know how it turns out.

Using your volume and OG, I calculate ~130 IBU. Since you can't really get above ~70 IBU, I'd say that you're wasting hops. Deleting your 45- and 30-minute additions, I still get ~90 IBU.

Also, an OG of 1056 is low for a double IPA (1070+).

1.020 seems pretty high for FG too, the finish will be sweet, which may help to balance the bitterness since the OG was so low.

Yeah, I figured. I assume 75% for everything up to 1060, then subtract 5% for every 10-15 points above that. And I use decoction mashing. Something north of 1080 is easy to undershoot.

Back