Will the potassium sorbate content of Fake syrup ruin my batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlasch771

Reaction score
So I am making my 4th batch and this one is a big one by my standards.

Its a 5 gallon bucket with the following:
1 LB of grade A honey
4 Pounds of pure cane sugar

Then I got ambitious:
1 TBSP of Cinnamon
1 oz of Lemon Juice

And the crazy part:
1/2 of a 24 OZ container of Fake Syrup (Because I wanted to be sure I had enough sugar for the yeast to eat)

My yeast is:
Standard Rapid Rise yeast
and
66,000 % Vitamin B12 (As per human dosage) (Added to keep the yeast kicking longer, it works I got about 12% ABV from my last batch)

I was reading online that Potassium sorbate prevents yeast from multiplying. And I dont know how much is in Fake syrup..... Ouch!

PS this is my first post but google searches have led me to this website on multiple occasions, so I am hoping to have at least a slightly warming welcome :)

........ I am going to ignore the fact that everything seems wrong with this, and just answer the question.

Potassium sorbate will inhibit yeast activity. It will certainly prevent it from reproducing, and may prevent it from working altogether.

Welcome! This place has a ridiculous amount of info.

Rapid rise yeast? Like bread yeast?

I'm thinking that the ingredients themselves will ruin this with the help of the yeast you have chosen. Potassium sorbate will have little to do with it.

Here's your warm welcome-welcome

Now, perhaps you could explain exactly what the hell you are trying to make and this is assuming you are not some under age kid trying to scour your folks pantry while they are out of town in the hopes of making something alcoholic!

That would be seriously frowned upon here.....

I have to agree with the previous posters in that I have no idea what this is going to make. You said you made another batch. What did you make then?

Back