Will the bubble gum condition out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilhomer

Reaction score
My lager has a bubble gum off flavor, yes I know too warm at some point. Recipe said 30 days primary, 30 days bottle still at lagering temps. It had the bubble gum flavor at bottling and in hindsight I probably should have secondaried at that point as I've read bulk conditioning is better and/or faster.

Well I bottled and it's been a month, still has the off flavor. Will this go away with time? Do I continue to keep it cold or move it to room temp storage?

I brewed a pale ale with Nottingham at too high a temperature and got lots of bubblegun flavors. I forgot exactly how long it took, maybe like 1-2 months, but the bubblegum flavor went away.

I brewed a pale ale with Nottingham at too high a temperature and got lots of bubblegun flavors. I forgot exactly how long it took, maybe like 1-2 months, but the bubblegum flavor went away.

That's never been my experience, particularly with lagers, but it certainly won't hurt to keep it longer and see how it goes.

That's never been my experience, particularly with lagers, but it certainly won't hurt to keep it longer and see how it goes.

Yeah I don't have any experience with lagers so I just made sure to make it clear it was for an ale. The 1-2 months was in the bottle at room temperature, I'm not sure how you guys are storing the lager.

Then tonight we drink bubblegum beer!!!

Thats the spirit. My mom always told me to clean my plate because there were starving people in India who would be greatful to have what I wanted to waste. Well if they were so desparate as to want my leftover creamed corn, you can bet your ass they would be all over that bubblegum lager.

What I would consider doing is getting some Guinness and making some half and halfs. That should go a long way toward covering the off flavor while allowing you to not waste the fruits of your labor. Or if you are the adventurous type you could get some clamato and make chelados. If clam can't cover up a minor imperfection what can?

UPDATE: Mine never got better, it actually got worse. I was able to drink it earlier on but later I would take a small sample from a new bottle and just dump the rest. Eventually I dumped it all because I needed the bottles.

Back