Will the BMC drinker like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBeagleBrew

Reaction score
Just looking for some feedback, mainly if the SRM and IBU's are about on par with what their tastebuds are accustomed to. Also I don't have any interest in adding rice or corn to the beer, tried it once didn't like the outcome, I do have to drink this as well lol. I would though consider substituting 5-10% of the grain bill for corn sugar if one thinks that this may have to much body for your typical BMC drinker.

****5 Gallon Batch****

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 3 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 4.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 8.55 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
9 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10l
0.75 oz Hallertau [3.9%] (60 min)
0.25 oz Hallertau [3.9%] (10 min)

1 Pkgs US-05 (Hydrated)

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes.
1.33qt/lb

looks like a winner to me...maybe reduce the crystal down to 0.5lbs to avoid a sweetness that might confuse someone not used to more full and complex beer.

I've got a beer aging right now that is 9 lbs of American 2 row and a 1/2 lb of Carapils. Mashed at 149° for 45 minutes. I changed it up a bit in that I pulled almost half the grain from the mash and did a 15 minute decoction boil on it and then added it back to hit mashout temp of 168° where it rested for 20 minutes before recirc and sparge. In truth the decoction may not make any difference with American 2 row but I normally drain all the liquid off from the mash and bring it to a boil and then add back to reach mashout temp anyways, so it was really only a little modification. I've tasted it. It's a nice lighter beer. It's got little body but isn't watery thin due to the carapils. For hops I used all Tettnanger. 2 oz total evenly split into 3 additions. The first addition at 60 minutes, then 15 minutes and the final at flameout. Standard WY1056 fermented at 67° through primary, then lowered to 50° for a week, and now cold crashed to 34° for this week. I'd make it again. A touch of light crystal wouldn't hurt which would make it similar to yours. You may find that a touch more hops won't improve the perceived bitterness if done right but may improve flavor. Yours might come out a bit sweeter than you'd hoped for.

Thanks for the feedback guys, sounds like for the simplicity of things I'll just cut back the crystal. I'd like to use a touch more hops but mine are all pre-packaged in one ounce bags so I'm not going to open another one for this beer. I'll post the outcome when she's in the glass. On another note do you know what style this beer falls under, just curious for whether or not I decide to name it.

Thanks for the feedback guys, sounds like for the simplicity of things I'll just cut back the crystal. I'd like to use a touch more hops but mine are all pre-packaged in one ounce bags so I'm not going to open another one for this beer. I'll post the outcome when she's in the glass. On another note do you know what style this beer falls under, just curious for whether or not I decide to name it.

I think it's somewhere between blonde and cream ale, although the crystal might be out of place if it comes through in the taste. Probably more on the blonde side as you aren't using corn etc. Your basic light noble hopped clean ale.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.php

When I load this recipe in I get a predicted IBU level of 13. That's actually slightly low for a Cream Ale, or even a Blonde Ale for that matter. 8.55 is just through the floor low. Strength and color are about right for each though. I have a Cream Ale right now that's at a predicted 18 IBU and in no way shape or form is it anything approaching what could be perceived as bitter. Certainly nothing a standard BMC drinking would ever flag. Pull the IBU's up to the mid 20's and cut the crystal in half and it could be a Kolsch. With the proper yeast of course. Regardless of what it's called, it should be a decent lighter beer. Simple can be very good.

do all 2-row and they will love it ferment at 65 with the 05 shot for a 24 IBU

and boil a bit more the 3 gallons to get 5.5 gallons in the fermenter ;)

your BMC drinking friends will think you made them fine lite lager

and maybe a 90 minute mash to dry it out

all the best

S_M

I only have the capacity to boil 3 gallons, so I sort of due a concentrated all grain than top off with water. Just my cheap easy system. Now that fall is here fermenting at 65 should be no problem, not going to extend the mash though when it comes to beer for BMC drinkers, I just don't want to spend more time on those beer than I would normally spend on a beer I like. As for upping the IBU to the 20 range, Bier Munchers Centennial Blonde is just above the 20 range and I can taste the slight bitterness and incredible aroma in it, I like this but my BMC family members didn't quite care for it, so I'll try just the one ounce this time and if I think it can handle more with out offending taste buds that do not enjoy hops than I will. Thanks again for all the help and advice guys, this sort of constructive criticism is what makes this forum great and my beer better. Cheers :tank:

Back