Will starters blow off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

NicePelos

Reaction score
I'll be making my first starter using Wyeast 3787. I'm planning on making 2L in a 1 gal growler. Am I going to need a blow off tube?

The Pol

Reaction score
Generally there is very little krausen, starters are generally around the 1.040 range so therefore they arent very violent. I usually just get a small 1/4" of foam on top

HairyDogBrewing

Reaction score
I have made krausen volcanoes on the stir plate.
It depends on the strain, temperature, and the fermentables.
I use a pie plate, just in case ...

medic4070

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just pitched a 1/4 of a yeast cake (from a 2.5 gallon batch) into a 1 pint starter (1.040) inside a 1L bottle. I did this last night at 10 PM and had krausen out of the airlock this morning by 7 AM. I washed it off, re-sanitized the airlock...and it was filling up again within a hour! I left it inside a bucket to minimize the mess I'll have when I get home... Should make for an interesting brewing session on Friday night!

rsmith179

Reaction score
Oh yeah, krausen definately will form even on a stirplate. Had a 1000ml flask going with a starter of WLP001. Although this isn't by any means a very explosive yeast, I still had krausen coming out the top. I just use a sanitized piece of foil instead of an airlock for the starter. Much easier to clean and replace. I just cleaned up the stuff that came out of the starter and made sure that the foil was still secure around the top of the flask.

Latest posts