Will rhizomes sprout if accidently planted 'upside down'?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looper

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just curious if I should be worried about how I put the rhizomes into the ground.

I made a conscious effort to point the shoots upwards (even if this meant laying them horizontally), but was not 100% sure about some of them.

4/8 have broken the soil, but still waiting on 4 more. It's been about a month since they've been in the ground (with tons of rain, and decent weather)...

Is there a chance the remaining 4 won't begin growing because they're upside down?

Thanks in advance.

your fine. plants know which way is up. sunshine and water is all that is needed if you want you could talk to them, some old lady told me once it helped her orchids.

Two things. 1) They may just be slow learners - or - 2) They may be duds. I would give them another week and if nothing is showing just stick a shovel in the ground and lift the rhizome to see what's up. If they are coming along and you happen to snap the tip of a new shoot off, no biggie, more will grow. If they aren't growing and show no signs of new roots/shoots, contact whoever sold them to you and explain. I'm sure you'll have success either way.

As said, don't stress about them. If you went out of your way to make sure they were pointing down they'd be fine, it would just take them an extra week or two to pop up.
I would not dig until the ones that did come up are 2ft tall (you might be there already, but prob. not)

Back