Will reracking my beer create oxidation issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I grabbed the wrong size carboy and racked 5 gallons of beer into a 6.5 gallon carboy. Upon discovering too much head space to use for a secondary vessel I decided to rerack the beer to a 5 gallon size carboy for dry hopping. I didn't wat to have all of the empty space at the top of the bigger carboy due to potential oxidation but now I wonder if if racking a second time in a span of a hour might create a problem. Any thoughts?

While I do hold with the idea you should always secondary beer in as small of vessel as possible, I don't obsess with it. I've secondaried 5 gallons in 6.5 gallon containers before. Racking, if done correctly isn't going to introduce a ton of air into your beer. I think your going to be fine either way.

I'm thinking that you would be more likely to potentially introduce more O2 by reracking than you would by leaving it with more headspace. Plus, the slight chance of introducing a contaminant. I'd leave it.

If you have the capability you can inject a layer of CO2 in the empty headspace above your beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My understanding is that if you allow the beer to splash into the vessel when racking, that is the oxidation that is the biggest concern. If you rack and let the tube swirl the beer at the bottom you are doing minimal harm. Doing it twice will probably introduce more O2 into the beer but with it sitting for another 7-14 days it should settle out just fine.

Latest posts

Back