Will potassium sorbate kill or inhibit fermentation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulietKilo

Reaction score
Thought I'd give hard cider a shot but there isn't any cider around here without the preservative potassium sorbate in it. And since preservatives seem to usually be all about inhibiting microbes I of course wonder if it'll be a problem? Or is it such small trace amounts that a packet of yeast would entirely overwhelm it and work fine?

It doesn't kill the yeast but it does kill fermentation.
It keeps yeast from multiplying and makes them super pissed off.
I typically use it after fermenting my cider (paired with potassium metabisulfite) to pacify yeast so I can back sweeten. Works great.

This is a good write up, you may be able to use that cider if the amount of sorbate is fairly low. It won't hurt to try, just start with double the yeast and go from there.
http://www.fermentarium.com/homebre...ng-you-know-about-potassium-sorbate-is-wrong/

Last edited:
Thanks! Having read around the forum more I see many just use apple juice, which does sound a lot more convenient. Knowing nothing about cider it hadn't occurred to me that cider wouldn't require cider?? Juice concentrate I would assume may be a really convenient way to go.

The best apples make the best cider. However out of season there is little difference between what is marketed as cider vs juice.
At this point everything will be from concentrate or have a large dose of preservatives.

To me cider is seasonal, many stores will sell good raw cider between September and November. Sometimes you have to look hard for it and other times it is right up front next to the fresh apples. I typically make a for my Christmas party every year.

However you can make good hard cider from store brand apple juice and frozen concentrate. A little mulling spice can give it a little more flavor if you are lacking, but remember less is more. My favorite recipe is 1 can of frozen concentrate per 1 gallon of juice/cider. You are aiming for 1.05-1.06 OG, this will get you to the top end of this range.

Walmart sells Mussellman's apple juice in gallon jugs. It doesn't have any sorbate or benzoate in it, so it works fine for making cider.

Try Whole Foods, I just picked up 2 ninety-six ounce glass bottles of their cider on sale for less than 6 bucks each. Now I have great juice to start with and bonus bottles to use as I please ;)

Edit: and for the record, most if not all of their juice is bad ****-free

Back