Will Pitching Goya Malta Yeast Starter Alter Taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetsfan4ever80

Reaction score
So last night I made a yeast starter using Goya Malta - I've heard many success stories using Malta and I didn't have any DME on hand. This is my first time making a yeast starter. I used around two bottles of Malta and added enough water to get it to a gravity of around 1.04. Altogether it's around 2L of wort using White Labs 013 yeast. This will be used to make an Oatmeal Stout. My biggest concern right now is if I pitch the entire starter, will the Malta alter the taste of my beer? The stuff has a pretty awful smell. I'm starting to think I should have potentially skipped a starter entirely and dumped right to my batch. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

The stuff has a pretty awful smell.

Awful smell in what way? Unless the awful smell was caused by the starter being infected there are no concerns. Malta is pale malt, crystal malt and corn syrup which is almost an un-fermented Yuengling. As long as the starter is clean just chill and decant before pitching if you are worried about the malta influencing the flavor of your stout.

Awful smell in what way? Unless the awful smell was caused by the starter being infected there are no concerns. Malta is pale malt, crystal malt and corn syrup which is almost an un-fermented Yuengling. As long as the starter is clean just chill and decant before pitching if you are worried about the malta influencing the flavor of your stout.

I'm referring to the Malta itself, not the yeast starter - I suppose it's personal preference as to the quality of the smell... I've done some research on decanting, and haven't found clear directions on the proper methods of decanting. It's probably a stupid question, but I know that I am supposed to chill it to settle the yeast in suspension, but how do you remove the wort? Is it as easy as simply dumping it out in the sink, or do you siphon it out? I just want to make sure that I'm not disposing large amounts of good/healthy yeast. Thanks for the help by the way!

If you carefully pour it you will not lose much yeast. Cold crashing for a day or two really helps get the yeast out of suspension. I usually decadent and leave about 1/4-inch of liquid behind.

Malta goya smells like dates and prunes very sweet smelling but the other night I used a half bottle with some hot water added just enough to warm up the room temp bottle and added wlp007 and then of course aspirated it good and put a ghetto rigged air lock on it when I went to pitch it I poured a tiny bit in a medicine cup to smell and stick my tongue in honestly it smelled and taste very much like a cheap American lager type thing going on I pitched that into my mead which I'm trying to make very complex and rich

Back